Check valve suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Papote

Reaction score
About 2 years ago, I had my main water valve replaced and installed a swing check valve. After running my water booster pump, I noticed I was losing pressure when all the faucets were off. I had the guys that install it come back and check. The removed the clapper and cleaned it but apparently due to the hard water in my area it corroded it rather quickly.

I am looking for a suggestion to replace the swing check valve with a high quality one so it'll last more than 2 years.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Flapper checks are not good. You want a metal, spring loaded, poppet style check valve. However, any check valve will fail when it is slamming closed every time the pump cycles off. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve to your pump will not only stop the check valve from slamming, but will give you strong constant pressure in the shower instead of cycling the pump on/off repeatedly, which also makes the pressure go up and down repeatedly. The CSV will not only make check valves last longer, but also the tank bladder, the pressure switch, and most especially the pump/motor.

Papote

Reaction score
Would stainless steel bet better than bronze or is the additional cost not worth it?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There really is no good bronze anymore. When the government made us take the lead out of brass, it is now mostly copper and will flake off big green chunks like the Statue of Liberty. It also makes low lead brass more expensive, so now usually you can get Stainless for the same price or less. Stainless is not better than good old bronze, but is better than the low lead brass stuff we are stuck with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks