Check valve ruptured

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by adkroot, Aug 11, 2016.

1. adkroot

adkroot New Member

Noticed my pump running during the night when there hadn't been any water usage, then checking things out in the am discovered that the check valve had a fine split running from the end of the threads towards the middle. An inch long. I don't think I tend to over torque, but aside from that issue any other experiences with low quality fittings rupturing similarly? I did get this at HD and not my usual plumbing supply which sells heavier, higher quality fittings.

2. craigpump

craigpump In the Trades

Self employed water system tech
    I had that same issue with lighter Boshart check valves. Use Simmons or Flowmatic and sleep at night.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. adkroot

adkroot New Member

My nearest hardware only had Campbell - I'm nearly an hour from a decent plumbing supply and want to get it leak free at least for now. Seems to be a heavy fitting with a more substantial wall thickness.

5. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

I've had hair line cracks in metal before...annoying.

Since these things are made who knows where, the metal is not trustworthy like it used to be...pot metal is what it is.

Recently I had issues with imported brass irrigation valves, made to look like Champion valves, but were not as dependable.

Somebody is cashing in on these things, and it's not me.

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    One of the hazards of price mentality...the cheapest is not always the best. ON a throw-away item, it may not matter, but on durable goods, it can be a major headache! There's a beauty to well-made items that many people have never experienced and don't know what they are missing. Not many of them come from China.

7. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

I've been to China and I've seen high quality products in China. They manufacture excellent, good, so so and bad.
    The importers choose the quality by the price and market the products here.
    Since they are all about making more money, they import bad to so so products that are cheap...and the reputation is that China makes crap.

8. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist
    You never know unless you use a torque wrench. ;)

9. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    No matter where it comes from, the new regulation that took all the lead out of brass is the problem. It is not even real brass anymore, usually an alloy like Sibeloe or something. Tends to crack and develop pin holes easily,and flakes off chunks of green copper. So we are left with either plastic, which has Plasticizers or Stainless Steel, which is 15% Chromium.

10. craigpump

craigpump In the Trades

Self employed water system tech
    New no lead brass isn't very forgiving.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    I've been to China as well, and realize as a people, they still have pride and craftsmanship...but, when you build to a price, most of that goes out the door. Many people today do not appreciate quality, they look a the price...quality costs more In a throw-away society, on some things, it doesn't matter much. If you want it to last, quality does matter.