Check valve problem

Users who are viewing this thread

DJCamp

Reaction score
Hey guys .few weeks ago i dropped a shallow well in my back yard.using sand spikes and 1 1/4 pvc pipe. once i got my pump issue fixed(thanks for the help).well is working good getting about 22 gpm with a 1hp cast iron pump.
problem i have, is that after a few days of running on and off with no problems, pump will loose prime. check valve is not seating properly from sediment is my guess.i have removed the valve cleaned it with water and reinstalled it,and well will hold prime ,but only for a few days of running

My check valve is right at the pump above the ground, facing up and down.....and this check valve is made of PVC, one of the cheaper ones at lowes, compared to the brass valves.

is this the best spot for the check valve? neighbor has his check valve right above his sand spike........... would a brass check valve be better? ............would a foot valve work better?

Speedbump

Reaction score
You can't use a foot valve if you have numerous wells. Thats what I got from your post. I guess sand spikes means sand point wells. Plural.

The check valve should be brass (not necessarilly bought at Lowes) and it should be as far away from the pump as you can possibly have it.

bob...

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Two possibilities occur to me. One is to use a strainer on the downstream side of the pump, and follow that with a check valve. With a fine enough mesh, the check may avoid fouling.

Another possibility would to be to control the pump with a pressure switch and pressure tank, and to maintain a minimum outlet pressure. That way, the pump itself will work to maintain prime.

DJCamp

Reaction score
sorry no i only have the one well pipe down, but i have 2 sand points ,one with the tip cut off and joined to the other,so to have 8 foot of screen.
would haveing the check valve right above the well screen be better. why do you want the valve as far away from the pump as possible?
i looked at the inners of both the pvc and the brass valves today,and they both seem to have the same components inside them. are the brass valves stronger?

also what kind of strainer are we talking about here? like a sediment filter?can you post a link to a image of one? also i didnt really want to use a tank cause this is just for a very small irrigation system running 2 zones with a max of 20 4 inch pop up sprinklers.

also a guy today told me he only uses swing valves on his well for some reason.i havent seen a swing valve so i dont know what he was really talkin about.

Speedbump

Reaction score
What size is the pipe you have going down? If it's two inch or larger you can use a footvalve. This is the best way to keep a prime. You drop 30 foot of pipe(if possible) down the well with the footvalve on the end. Now when the pump turns off, all that water is pushing down on the valve helping to keep it tightly closed and keeping the pipe full of water instead of letting the pipe empty with the check valve at the pump.

If you like the sound of water hammering against that flapper when the pump turns off and the possibility of breaking pipes and fittings, go for the flapper. They are really used on Sump Pumps.

Plastic valves are inferior to brass. If your going to do it, why not do it once and be done with it.

bob...

DJCamp

Reaction score
roger that ill go get a 1 1/4 brass check valve,
should i pull the pipe out and reinstall it down at the water table above my screens.
or leave it next to my pump....whats your recomendations?

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your casing is large enough to accept an 1-1/4" footvalve or even a 1" valve, it would be much better down the well into the water.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks