Can't put flange bolts in slots

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I have a toilet that I'd like o turn 90 degrees and the flange looks like this with just 2 slots --

https://www.contractoraccess.com/product/40012/

The original position of course, had the mounting bolts in the slots but now like I say would like to turn it 90 degrees so I'm guessing it's a real no no but the only option is to somehow use the those 2 cutouts rather than the slots. Has anyone been faced with this? I thought that if I put some epoxy on the bottom of the bolts and even put a stainless screw next to the bolt, mounted to the floor, it may keep the bolts from from sliding and be ok? - thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What are you calling "cutouts" and "slots". I ALWAYS use the two notches, unless the flange is already installed with the long slots where the bolts go. In that case, I use washers and nuts on top of the flange to secure the bolts in the proper places.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it's easier to use something like this as a flange repair.

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg

Code requires 15" to center or 30" for the width on a toilet. You need a place for your arms.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plastic flanges are.. Meh... Sometimes you can get the flange to rotate by lightly tapping on it with a hammer and blunt instrument. That is if the outer ring is a separate piece to begin with. Both HJ and Terrys suggestions are valid.

Another way to rotate would be to just drill down into whatever material you have below and set new stud anchors with correct 1/4" toilet threads on top. If wood, then what is commonly referred to as a coach screw or if into concrete then a 1/4" wedge anchor.

Mar3232

Reaction score
Stud anchors. Why didn't I think of that? Yes, the type with (wood) screw threads on half and machine screw threads on the other right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks