Brown well water and well depth question

Users who are viewing this thread

Koby2270

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice to improve my well water. Last week our water stopped flowing. After some troubleshooting I figured out that our submersible pump was not working. I bought a new pump from Lowe's. It's a Zoeller 1/2 hp. Probably not the wisest decision but it fit the budget and was five minutes away. When I lowered the new pump back into the casing I felt it hit bottom. I had to force it down to get it back into the pitles connection. I knew this was a problem so I pulled it back out and cut 4' off of the pipe. I think it should be 10' above the bottom but I didn't want to cut too much and have the pump run dry. The pipe was wet for about 30' but we've had a lot of rain lately and I was worried that it might get lower this summer. The bottom of the well is about 60'. We've never had good drinking water from the well and I'm wondering if the pump being on the bottom was the problem. This video was taken before I cut the pipe. Any feedback is appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Raising it up a little may help, as long as you don't raise it up so much it can't get water. Probably just need to pump it hard like in the video for hours or maybe even days to get it to clean up. If after pumping a day or so it doesn't clean up, there maybe a problem with the well and it may never clean up. One thing for sure you can't afford to keep a pump in there if it doesn't clean up.

Koby2270

Reaction score
Raising it up a little may help, as long as you don't raise it up so much it can't get water. Probably just need to pump it hard like in the video for hours or maybe even days to get it to clean up. If after pumping a day or so it doesn't clean up, there maybe a problem with the well and it may never clean up. One thing for sure you can't afford to keep a pump in there if it doesn't clean up.
Thanks for the reply. What's the best way to find the lowest water level. I'm sure it changes but how do I know that I'm not putting the pump too high?

Reach4

Reaction score
I watched. Letting the red water flow out for a few days, to clean the well, might have been a good move.

How old is the well?

4 inch steel casing?

There are ways of cleaning out decades of sediment. I am not a pro.

Koby2270

Reaction score
I watched. Letting the red water flow out for a few days, to clean the well, might have been a good move.

How old is the well?

4 inch steel casing?

There are ways of cleaning out decades of sediment. I am not a pro.
I'm not sure how old the well is. I'll have to look into that. It's a 5"steel casing. Thanks for your help!

Reach4

Reaction score
This video is a from a service. They inject air at high CFM from a big compressor. The color of this water is similar to yours.

Koby2270

Reaction score
This video is a from a service. They inject air at high CFM from a big compressor. The color of this water is similar to yours.
That's interesting. I'll call around to get pricing. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks