Best Way to Splice Water Off This Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

shanec

Reaction score
I am trying to plumb a coffee machine off the cold water underneath my kitchen sink. What is the easiest way to plumb this in without having to do any soldering? I am planning to run a 3/8" PEX (John Guest) tube from this source line to the espresso machine. Should I replace the stop valve at the point labeled "A" with a two outlet stop valve and plumb the PEX tube directly into it with a stainless steel compression insert stiffener? Should I cut the pipe at point "C" and use a Sharkbite slip tee adapter that I connect the 3/8" PEX to (adding a valve in the PEX pathway immediately after that connection)? Is there a better way?

IMG_2122.JPG

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Easiest: I would add a "compression tee fitting" at B. That's easiest and you don't need to shutoff water to house (just turn off the line with stop valve A).

shanec

Reaction score
Easiest: I would add a "compression tee fitting" at B. That's easiest and you don't need to shutoff water to house (just turn off the line with stop valve A).
I thought about that, but I was worried that the bend in the copper pipe would make it a little harder to add the compression tee and would make it a little more susceptible to leaks. I assume there is not really much flexibility in that copper pipe, so would need to disconnect that current coupling, cut away some of the current copper pipe (how do I know the exact amount?), and then connect the compression tee. Is that correct?

Asktom

Reaction score
There is also a fitting that would fit the outlet side of the angle stop, tee out the side and let you hook up the faucet on the top. The one I have part numbers for is from Lasco. If you want 1/4" compression out the side it is 06-9101. If you want 3/8" compression out the side it is 06-9111. Lasco calls it an "angle stop tee", but I have seen them from other sources called an "add-a-tee". This is the easiest hook up, but it means the angle stop will control both the faucet and the coffee machine.

shanec

Reaction score
I finally got around to starting work on this project. I have run my 3/8" John Guest tubing and now I just need to connect everything together. My plumbing kit came with the 3/8" max adapter compression tee (shown below) that should fit perfectly. I disconnected the existing compression fitting at point A (in the original picture), but I can't seem to bend the copper pipe enough to connect it to the top of the installed max adapter. Would it be easier to do this at point B? Am I going to need to cut 1.5" off the copper pipe between A and B and redo the compression fitting? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

IMG_2312.JPG

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replace the angle stop with a 3 way compression angle stop and you'll have an outlet for the coffee maker.

I would install an inline filter for the coffee maker.

shanec

Reaction score
Would another, potentially easier, option be to use a 3/8" self-tapping saddle valve between A and B so I don't need to do any cutting or even shut off the water main to replace the angle stop valve?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Saddle valves are not as dependable and seem to wear out and leak faster.
The way I suggested above, there are no cutting, piercing or soldering.

shanec

Reaction score
Replace the angle stop with a 3 way compression angle stop and you'll have an outlet for the coffee maker.

I would install an inline filter for the coffee maker.
This may be a ridiculous question, but where do I find one of these? I looked at the local Home Depot with no luck. My searches online haven't returned what I need either. Most of these look like valves that would be used for a toilet and are stainless instead of brass. Am I just searching for the wrong terms?

I do plan to place a few stop valves, a check valve, a water softener and a carbon filter before the espresso machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

shanec

Reaction score
Thank you very much! The one below looks exactly like what I need and it should be available at a local Home Depot. I guess I just didn't really know what to look for the first time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...utlet-Multi-Turn-Valve-CR1901LRX-R1/202047052

I believe I can connect the John Guest PEX tubing directly to one of the 3/8" outlets on that stop valve, right? If my research is correct, it appears that I also need to add some kind of internal sleeve inside the PEX tubing to hold its shape with the compression fitting. Is that correct? Any idea of the technical name for those sleeves so I can find them a little quicker?

shanec

Reaction score
Thank you very much! The one below looks exactly like what I need and it should be available at a local Home Depot. I guess I just didn't really know what to look for the first time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...utlet-Multi-Turn-Valve-CR1901LRX-R1/202047052

I believe I can connect the John Guest PEX tubing directly to one of the 3/8" outlets on that stop valve, right? If my research is correct, it appears that I also need to add some kind of internal sleeve inside the PEX tubing to hold its shape with the compression fitting. Is that correct? Any idea of the technical name for those sleeves so I can find them a little quicker?
I think I answered my own question. For those who come across this in the future, here are the likely parts needed.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-3-8-in-Brass-Compression-Nut-with-Insert-909-071001/100637874

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chie...ompression-Sleeve-3-Pack-907-021003/100637962

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks