Bathtub Spout with Diverter - 1/2" copper only 1" long

Users who are viewing this thread

Ric

Reaction score
Hi. I read a few posts regarding a short 1" long 1/2" copper pipe with no threads, needing a Delta adapter. What I wanted to find out is does that need to be soldered to the copper pipe or is there a way to slip it on and then buy a spout that screws onto it? I read another post about the adapter needing a minimum of around 1 1/2" length pipe. I have never soldered before, but can give it a go if needed, but wanted to see if there was another way. TIA

thumbnail.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
RP33794 is the set screw version adapter. I don't know the minimum pipe length that it needs.
I think the RP5836 spout comes with that adapter.
brass-delta-drains-drain-parts-rp33794-64_145.jpg

I don't know if there is enough ID on the RP12307 adapter to let you solder on a short piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe, using a coupler, that you could solder to. I expect there is, since that adapter clears a 0.84 OD nipple. If you have the RP12307 adapter, you could take it to a store and see how far a 1/2 inch copper coupling will go in.

As far as your ability to learn to solder, maybe you should get help with that if in doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ric

Ric

Reaction score
I've soldered a coupling on and added pipe length for the Delta tub spout adapter.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

delta-rp5834-2.jpg
Thanks Terry and Reach4... What did you use to add the copper pipe extension, solder to the brass fitting?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your existing stubout of copper is pretty scored up. Soldering something onto it may be the only way you get a good connection that won't leak. If you take some fine emery cloth to clean it up, how does it feel? Can you feel any of the scratches if you check with your fingernail? TO ensure you don't damage the O-ring if you use a slip on version, you'd want to clean up the end so there are no burrs, and square it up.

From what I can see, the threaded portion of their adapter should end up between 1/2 to 1-1/2" from the wall. This one is their slip-on version, but I don't know where the O-ring is internally that creates the seal to the pipe. https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP33794

With only 1" showing from the wall, and the setback internally for the O-ring seal, you may need to add some pipe on. What you could do is solder on a threaded fitting, then, screw the adapter to it rather than soldering it if you pick the right one. This one would screw onto a threaded adapter you'd solder onto the existing pipe. https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP12307

Reactions: Ric

Brianllbw

Reaction score
Boy, that picture of the soldered that Brass Adapter on the copper pipe, really looks good. I have a lot of problems soldering Brass on copper.
I'm a electronic Tech, Clean, use flux and I still can't Solder Brass on Copper.
Maybe a lot of people have problems soldering Brass on Copper
Question
Why don't you make a Copper Adapter because most can solder Copper on Copper?
Or, why doesn't the manufacture put a self tapping Screw on the brass adapter?, RTV in on and screw the Set screw in, all set

I wasn't prepared to work for hours on something that should only take 5 minutes