Basement shower drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JoLynn Dixon, Jun 14, 2019.

1. JoLynn Dixon

JoLynn Dixon New Member

Hello all,

New to the forum and embarking on an old basement shower remodel. I want to put in a Kerdi drain but can someone please let me what type of drain this is and how I can install a Kerdi drain with it? Or does it need to be taken out? Believe it's in a mortar shower floor.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    To me, it looks like a floor drain, not a shower drain. I can't be sure of the sizing, but today's code wants a 2" drain pipe for a shower. YOur local inspector MIGHT grandfather a 1.5", if that's what's there, but you'd have to crack out some slab to be able to install ANY shower drain properly. While in there, you would want to verify that the p-trap is in good condition, and that it is properly vented. Nobody said it would be easy.

Even though it's on a slab, you still want a waterproof pan, whether you use Kerdi or a conventional pan liner and clamping drain. While Schluter does make a conversion from a clamping drain to their bonded membrane, that isn't a clamping drain, or at least it doesn't look like one to me.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. JoLynn Dixon

JoLynn Dixon New Member

Thank you, Jim, doesn't look clamping to me either... Any ideas how much a plumbing job like this should cost? Also, Kerdi plastic membrane is okay to put over the floor, correct?