Are there any 6000 btu mini splits that only cool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rerod

Reaction score
I just don't want the reversing valve and related components failing, if I plan on heating with propane..

Does anyone know of a brand that is only cooling?

Thanks

Houptee

Reaction score
Mitsubishi is only 6k I know of but pretty sure it is it is a heat pump only.

The many other brands out there now are so inexpensive you can basically treat them as disposable systems.
Look at Senville, Gree, Midea, Kingsfin, a new one hitting the market is Kanion.

Rerod

Reaction score
Thanks.

If I could find a inverter mini split that could actually dial back from 30k heat to 9k cool. I might consider one.. But I'm reading allot of complaints about symptoms of being over-sized like poor humidity removal and musty, moldy smells from the unit.

Houptee

Reaction score
What is your heating btu requirement? Did you do a heat loss and a cooling heat gain on the house?
The inverter systems have a wider range and not as critical to size as a non inverter system.
Most common sizes are 9k, 12k, 18k, 24k, and a few make 36k in single heads.
Then you can also get the multi head systems.
Now they are making the slim duct head too or the surface mounted ceiling units as well as the flush recessed ceiling cassettes.

Another interesting system is the Mr Cool Universal that looks like a regular air handler but its a inverter heat pump that you can set with dip switch to be a 2 ton system or a 3 ton system.
They have a video of it working in -20 F heating a older house to 73 deg without using the auxiliary heat strips just running as heat pump.
Supposedly it is made by Midea for them.

Rerod

Reaction score
I haven't even designed the home, and also wondered if it could be reverse sized. Meaning given a certain piece of equipment, like the 6k Mitsubishi you mentioned, how large of a PGH or pretty good house could one cool? (R20 floor/40 walls/60 ceiling)

I don't really agree when you say mini splits are so inexpensive you can basically treat them as disposable systems. A ducted window shaker hack, now thats cheap..

My new home wont be bigger than 1000 sq'. Probably more like 700 sq' studio under a large canopy roof.

loadcalc.net and coolcalc.com, but my calculations and gut say's 5000 btu might cut it, and I want it close so it runs allot. None of the calc's figure in the canopy roof my studio will be under.

Rimrock-Ranch-House-with-beautiful-lighting-2.jpg

Last edited:

Houptee

Reaction score
For example this Senville system is 9k and total is $699 free shipping includes lineset wire etc.
So if it lasts 7 yrs you would not even have it repaired the labor and parts would cost more than slamming another new one in.
Once you have them installed the hard work is over so replacing the indoor and outdoor units is much less work since the electrical is there and the lineset should be reusable unless there was a compressor burnout.
The linesets connect with flare fittings so no brazing required.
So yes they are basically disposable at this point due to the cost of labor to have them repaired is higher than a new system.

https://senville.com/9000-btu-mini-split-air-conditioner-senl-09cd/

Houptee

Reaction score
Love the house design very cool.
I have a 100 yr old 3 family house in NJ and each apt is aprox 1000 sq ft.
I have 18k mini splits in each unit on 1st floor and 2nd floor is bigger 1400 sq ft so I put in a 24k up there. The ceiling upstairs is the roof so it has high heat gain even with 2" foamboard under the roof and then r15 fiberglass and drywall it still gets hot up there but the 24k keeps up.

Rerod

Reaction score
But 9000 btu mini split would be over sized, and any 6000 btu I can find is more $..

Houptee

Reaction score
9k will be fine because the compressors are inverter variable speed so they can adjust down and use the temp sensors to speed up or slow down the compressor depending on load.
They are not as critical to size these systems as old a/c that do not have variable speed inverter compressors.
They sense the indoor and outdoor temp and self adjust to the load to bring house to the set temp.
So a 9k is actually really a 7-11k or something close to that range since it can adapt to load.
Only if you grossly oversize will you have problems.

Rerod

Reaction score
Will that be in Iowa?
Yeah.. But mine will be a 10,000 sq' canopy roof.

9000 btu is to much cooling and I don't want a smart stat thinking it knows better than me. I think I will try the window shaker hack for my super efficient studio. Where you duct it in to isolate it on the ground..

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Any AC system, minis or otherwise are heat pump systems. It's one valve and a little more plumbing at the compressor, barely any additional cost and a extremely small chance of any additional failures. All it requires is one extra wire from the thermostat.

Houptee

Reaction score
Mini splits don't have a smart stat like a Nest they have a remote control that you set the temp you want.
The indoor unit has sensor to measure the return air temp and the evap coil temp and outside unit has ambient temp sensor and condenser coil temp sensor. The logic determines how much flow of refrigerant with the EEV and what speed the compressor runs.

Rerod

Reaction score
Mini splits don't have a smart stat like a Nest they have a remote control that you set the temp you want.
The indoor unit has sensor to measure the return air temp and the evap coil temp and outside unit has ambient temp sensor and condenser coil temp sensor. The logic determines how much flow of refrigerant with the EEV and what speed the compressor runs.

OK, but does the mini split stat allow me to lock in the lowest compressor speed/tonnage, regardless if it runs 12 hours straight set to 71? I think the logic will want a set amount of "cycles per hour".. I prefer to have AC sized where the inside temperature drops 1/2 - 1/4 degree per hour like my home split system does. On 100 degree days it barely holds 74, Which results in long run times and humidity levels in the 30's when used in a set back fashion.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Look over the specs on this 6K mini. It does allow to comfort down the compressor speed. Model: Mitsubishi MZ-FH06NA. Do note that this site reads that this model is back ordered. If it's China made everything exported from China has slowed up. With so many working from home this summer caused a shortage. My son had one put in and I think he had to get a 9K since 6K's were not around.

From the specs:
Precision Temperature Control Technology
  • The MUZ-FH06NA condenser is equipped with inverter technology and an electronic linear expansion valve. By adjusting compressor speed and refrigerant flow, the unit matches output to the zone for precise temperature control and improved efficiency.
https://www.ecomfort.com/Mitsubishi...Q22160d21oMpiq5b-g9RKEs7kkr8sIyRoCjDYQAvD_BwE

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Yeah.. But mine will be a 10,000 sq' canopy roof.

9000 btu is to much cooling and I don't want a smart stat thinking it knows better than me. I think I will try the window shaker hack for my super efficient studio. Where you duct it in to isolate it on the ground..

There are a few ducted mini-splits that might fill the bill. Fujitsu's AOU/ARU36RGLX is good for about 30K BTU/hr at Iowa City's 99% outside design temp of -6F, and about 33K at +5F, yet throttles back to 9600 BTU/hr. If it's a big open space and you're looking for a high wall unit there are options with similar or better performance from several manufacturers.

If it's a 700' "...super efficient studio..." or even a 1000', house the design heat load probably won't be anywhere near 30,000 BTUhr @ -6F. Both LoadCalc and CoolCalc will usually overshoot reality with margin, sometimes by quite a bit in the hands of a newbie. I'm not sure how a 700' studio can have a 10,000' roof though- is that a typo, and really a 1000' roof?

If it's a budget problem, IIRC Senville, Pioneer, Mr.Cool, and now most Gree labeled units (as well as all of Carrier's mini-split selection) are re-labeled Midea units using Toshiba compressor technology. Midea is a first-tier Chinese heat pump & AC manufacture that seems dedicated to vacuuming up the competition, letting the competitors handle the distribution & marketing, and has over the past decade become the world's largest manufacturer of AC equipment.

Almost all mini-splits have a "DRY" or "DEHUMIDIFY" mode to improve the SHR (sensible heat ratio) for handling latent loads. Even if significantly oversized they do an OK job of handling humidity, but right-sizing it is still better for both comfort and efficiency. The humidity problems tend to crop up with for the sensible load and running it it's highest SEER normal cooling mode. Using setbacks and oversizing does not improve latent load handling.

Houptee

Reaction score
This seller on Ebay has several Cool Only mini splits but none are 6k. I never heard of the brands he sells but they all seem to be coming from 3 factories in China now and they slap different stickers on the sheet metal case.
He has a system called Premium 12k cooling only with 11 ft install kit and free shipping for $409.99
It says cools 600 sq ft in the description.
Click on his store for other sizes and some other brands.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12000-BTU-...443829?hash=item260c610bb5:g:JFYAAOSwQ9xcgepA

Houptee

Reaction score
OK, but does the mini split stat allow me to lock in the lowest compressor speed/tonnage, regardless if it runs 12 hours straight set to 71? I think the logic will want a set amount of "cycles per hour".. I prefer to have AC sized where the inside temperature drops 1/2 - 1/4 degree per hour like my home split system does. On 100 degree days it barely holds 74, Which results in long run times and humidity levels in the 30's when used in a set back fashion.
The way they work is all based on the return air temp it senses on indoor head unit.
Mine the indoor fan runs all the time (unless you put it on Eco mode).
Then you can hear when the logic sends more refrigerant to modulate the system.
Outside is the metering valve they use a EEV electronic expansion valve not a TXV. That is how they adjust to the load and also the inverter compressor speeds up or slows down.
You cannot override the control system on these unless you are a computer programmer and somehow flashed the mainboard with custom code.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
This seller on Ebay has several Cool Only mini splits but none are 6k. I never heard of the brands he sells but they all seem to be coming from 3 factories in China now and they slap different stickers on the sheet metal case.
He has a system called Premium 12k cooling only with 11 ft install kit and free shipping for $409.99
It says cools 600 sq ft in the description.
Click on his store for other sizes and some other brands.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12000-BTU-...443829?hash=item260c610bb5:g:JFYAAOSwQ9xcgepA

If it has Toshiba compressors (as in the eBay ad) and made in China it's manufactured by Midea, which owns a large stake in Toshiba's compressor factory there.

The up-charge for a heat pump version is less than $200. If you're heating the space with either propane or oil any heat provided by the heat pump will be significantly cheaper than the fossil burners, and during the shoulder seasons above 40F outdoors when the efficiency and capacity is peaking it's cheaper heat than natural gas in most locations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks