Are there any 6000 btu mini splits that only cool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rerod

Reaction score
Thanks folks..

No typo.. 10,000 sq foot roof will be a agricultural canopy roof with no walls. Underneath will be my shanty town. But in order to retain my low property taxes, I thought the living quarters needed to be moveable or non-permanent like on skids which I was planning. But it turns out, county says it has to have axles strapped to it, so Mobile Homes it will be. There's already one on the property worthy of renovation.. But its going to take allot..

So I apologize for changing lanes here.. I cant use mini splits in my MH because the water lines would freeze up. But the lines need replaced anyway, so if I heat tape the new insulated lines.. Maybe I could use a few mini splits in my MH's but that's a new discussion.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Rimrock-Ranch-House-with-beautiful-lighting-2.jpg
    Rimrock-Ranch-House-with-beautiful-lighting-2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 145

Reach4

Reaction score
So I apologize for changing lanes here.. I cant use mini splits in my MH because the water lines would freeze up. But the lines need replaced anyway, so if I heat tape the new insulated lines.. Maybe I could use a few mini splits in my MH's but that's a new discussion.
You could probably make a skirt with XPS/EPS insulation, and keep the the crawlspace, or whatever you call it, under the heated space unfrozen.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Thanks folks..

No typo.. 10,000 sq foot roof will be a agricultural canopy roof with no walls. Underneath will be my shanty town. But in order to retain my low property taxes, I thought the living quarters needed to be moveable or non-permanent like on skids which I was planning. But it turns out, county says it has to have axles strapped to it, so Mobile Homes it will be. There's already one on the property worthy of renovation.. But its going to take allot..

The picture was definitely worth 10,000 words that time! :)

With a canopy roof that uses a combination of "cool roof" roofing and using foil-clad roof decking on the underside essentially eliminates the amount of radiated heat coming through the roofs of your shanty town. The radiant temperature experienced by any of the roofs of the individual buildings becomes essentially the same as the air temperature since they're essentially in a massively ventilated "attic", whereas a much less ventilated attic with more solar absorptive standard roofing materials can experience attic temps 30F or more higher than the outdoor temperature. This can have a large effect on cooling loads on buildings with less-well insulated roofs.

Thanks folks..

Thanks!

I'm not sure how a (ducted or ductless) mini-split makes the water lines more susceptible than other solutions? There are mini-split heat pumps with output fully specified down to -22F (-30C), and many fully rated at -13F (-25C).

Vapor injection scroll compressors have come a long way in the past 10-15 years. There are even essentially DIY versions (when using pre-charged refrigerant lines) with full sized mid static pressure air handlers suitable for swapping out with gas/propane furnaces using the pre-existing ducts. That series delivers the full rated heating capactity down to -5F, 78% of rated capacity at -22F, fully capable of both heating and cooling the whole house in locations as cool as Iowa City. This marketing fluff testimonial was in Grand Forks ND. The operating costs were pretty low too. This series is designed & and manufactured by Midea, marketed under a few different nameplates. There are others, but this is the only series I'd consider as a cheap DIY. There are wall hung and floor mount mini-splits that still work at temps that low too.

As with straight-ahead single speed or 2 stage split AC, right sizing a cold climate modulating heat pump is still important for both efficiency & comfort.

Houptee

Reaction score
Can you build new studio similar to what you wanted and take the axles off the old mobile home somehow put underneath to technically make a new building a mobile home in the eyes of the tax man?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks