American Standard Champion Pro toilet flushing capability

Users who are viewing this thread

Brenda_MD

Reaction score
We want to replace our current 35 year old toilets. My plumber recommended the American Standard Champion Pro because of its flushing capability. What are the experiences people have had with this toilet? I know Toto toilets get good reviews; however, we are on a well. We have both a water softener and acid neutralizer and still get the mineral build up at the water line in the toilet bowl that I have to periodically clean off with a pumice stone which I believe would damage the surface of the Toto.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any of the II series TOTO will work well with well water. They have a very nice finish in the bowl, and the two jets for the rinse are a good feature for that.

If you're going with American Standard, I prefer the Cadet series over the Champion.

champion-4-ada.jpg

Champion 4

cadet_pro_10c.jpg

Cadet

Last edited:

Brenda_MD

Reaction score
Any of the II series TOTO will work well with well water. They have a very nice finish in the bowl, and the two jets for the rinse are a good feature for that.

If you're going with American Standard, I prefer the Cadet series over the Champion.
Terry, thanks for your reply. I am not sure how the jets would exactly impact the mineral ring build up at the water level though. I clean my toilets weekly and even when I clean the ring off with the pumice stone periodically, it will still start building up again. In the town I live in, there is a new housing development going in. On the town’s Facebook page, even the newcomers ask what is up with the water and rings in the toilet bowls. Many have been told to use the high strength vinegar to help dissolve it.

Also, is there any particular reason you prefer the Cadet series over the Champion

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cadet allows you to use all of the water in the tank for a flush. The Champion doesn't.
It's also more compact and an easier install.

With hard water deposits, those little holes under the rim can clog up, preventing a good flush.

Brenda_MD

Reaction score
The Cadet allows you to use all of the water in the tank for a flush. The Champion doesn't.
It's also more compact and an easier install.

With hard water deposits, those little holes under the rim can clog up, preventing a good flush.
Terry, just another question or two. I looked at the Cadet. It appears there are two different flushing systems (excluding the dual flush), the Powerwash rim and the Flowise system. Were you referring to the Flowise? From the description I cannot tell how the Powerwash rim is designed. For sure, toilets with all the little holes under the rim are also a cleaning headache. Also, assume the 1.28 is the size you use. Thanks again for your replies.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So they are now calling their gravity 3" flush valve a Powerwash?
And their pressure assist Flowise?

The Cadet comes as a single flush or a dual flush. I'm normally installing the 3" flush valve gravity bowl with either the 1.28 or the 1.6 tank. You can press and release and the flapper will time out the correct amount of water, or hold it down and drain pretty much the entire tank if wanted.
The Champion doesn't allow that with the tall flush valve assembly in their tanks. The adjustment must be perfect to get a flush that works. You don't get the option to use more water like you have in the Cadet.

champion-4-flush-valve-1.jpg

champion_flush4.jpg

Champion flush valve. No water leaves the tank below the blue flapper.

Most people don't need or want the pressure assist. They have their uses, but they are nosier to use.

Last edited:

Brenda_MD

Reaction score
So they are now calling their gravity 3" flush valve a Powerwash?
And their pressure assist Flowise?

The Cadet comes as a single flush or a dual flush. I'm normally installing the 3" flush valve gravity bowl with either the 1.28 or the 1.6 tank. You can press and release and the flapper will time out the correct amount of water, or hold it down and drain pretty much the entire tank if wanted.
The Champion doesn't allow that with the tall flush valve assembly in their tanks. The adjustment must be perfect to get a flush that works. You don't get the option to use more water like you have in the Cadet.

Most people don't need or want the pressure assist. They have their uses, but they are nosier to use.
I called American Standard support to get clarification on their terms. The support said that the Flowise is how they describe the water saving toilets (1.28 tank). That all of the Cadets have the Power Rim wash, but it is not mentioned where the Flowise term is used. The Power Rim is gravity fed and is a lot of smaller holes under the rim. She said the smaller holes provide more force to clean the toilet in flushing. The only toilets with a single hole with a straight down flush are the Vor Max toilets.

Anything that is power assist is clearly marked as such.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks