American Standard Cadet 3 w/ Cracks

Users who are viewing this thread

TRX70

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just had a new Americal Standard Cadet 3 delivered but upon inspection I see cracks where clean water enters into the bowl portion of the toilet.

Imagine looking down from above on the bowl where the clean water first hits when the flap opens. The cracks are up to 1/8" deep and have some glaze in them. The cracks do not telescope through to the trapway or to the outside of the toilet.

Is this okay or should I get another one?

Screenshot_20191213-143244_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191213-143255_Gallery.jpg

I don't know enough about toilets to make the call that these type of cracks are okay or not.

Thanks in advance!
TK

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a tough one to call. Most of the time things like that are okay, but I have had the rare occasion too.
Could you place it where you can pour water there and see if it weeps through?

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
What I see are factory defects that they covered up with a ton of glaze. As always with obvious factory defects: Return!

TRX70

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I tried the trick with water and it did not leak through the cracks but the depth of them concerned me so I returned it. I have a new one on order so hopefully that one will be okay.

TK

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is hearsay, if you bought this at a big box store, one reason why they get a lower price (not always!) than some other outlets is that they accept pretty much whatever comes off of the assembly line. Given a good design, most of them are good, so a final QA/QC check is just an additional cost. But, the big box stores accept them without that final check, making you, the customer the one to do it. If it is accepted, they make extra money. If not, they're still ahead because of the rest of them that came through that the customer accepted, whether they should or not.

Those sold through plumbing supply houses do go through that QA/QC check, and it's much rarer to find a defective one via that sort of channel.

From what I hear, Toto has one of the lowest defect rates in the industry. Design wise, some are better than others on all makes. But, it's nice to get one that is both well designed and produced to match!

Chevyguy

Reaction score
If after a total inspection those were the only cracks, and I got the Cadet at a real bargain price I would try using some Loctite 2-part Marine epoxy to seal over them. I've had really good luck using this epoxy, it works. Afterwards you won't see the cracks anyway. I know this is an old thread but I thought I'ed add my opinion.

Clayton

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks