Advice on adding a utility sink to laundry room, with an unusual plumbing layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Br1Guy

Reaction score
I love this site and find it useful, but I cannot find information on my setup. I want to add a utility sink to my laundry room on the first floor (with basement below and second floor above). I can see what I believe to be a vent pipe, and the washer drain. I don't know how to tie the sink into this. I plan on moving the drain to the outlet box on the left, not that it will make a difference.

Any advice on how to plumb the sink in?
IMG_20171229_002523.jpg

Br1Guy

Reaction score
Would it be possible to create 2 loops off of what is presently there. Such as extend the vent out and then the drain as well and put the 2 loops in there?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

Br1Guy

Reaction score
I would connect the drain in the basement to a waste line if possible and if the pipe to the right of the dryer plug is a vent, you can connect your vent pipe to it. As I follow that we assumed is a vent pipe there is a sanitary tee but it still can be a vent, probably for the washing machine drain.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/sanitary-tee-for-vent-connection.16529/
So, you are saying run a new drain for the sink to the basement and then tie into the waste line there? Is there any order for tying into that? Can I just find a section with adequate space for a tee and put it in there?

Br1Guy

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the waste line that is kind of below this area. If it will help for advice on tying in.

Attachments

• IMG_20171229_194756.jpg
    IMG_20171229_194756.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 300

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can tie the drain into the existing washer pipe and the vent into the pipe on the left, if you can find enough room to make the connections, and the vent connection is high enough..

Br1Guy

Reaction score
You can tie the drain into the existing washer pipe and the vent into the pipe on the left, if you can find enough room to make the connections, and the vent connection is high enough..
Are you talking about the first picture then? Of so, the sink has to vent first, correct? I am moving the washer drain all the way to the left wall, so it might get tricky, but I like having that option.

Br1Guy

Reaction score
From help here, browsing the site and looking at the Terry Love approved method for this, i think i figured it out. Will the attached layout work?

Screenshot_20171230-141532.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are going to have a problem getting the 2" drain line past the downstairs 2" vent in a 2x4 wall, and the horizontal line has to be 42" above the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks