Advice for unscrewing a whole house filter attached to rope and CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

darnskewered

Reaction score
I need to replace our whole house string water filter. I made an attempt to unscrew it the other day. I first turned off water to the whole house, let some faucets run, and turned the knob on the filter 180 to "off" and pressed the depressurizing red button.

I could not budge the housing of the filter.

Note it is hung from the ceiling by rope and is attached to flexible CPVC pipe.

Any recommendations for a tool which could help me unscrew this without breaking the surrounding pipe etc?

Thanks!
water_filter.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to cut at least one side of the CPVC to spin that filter off. The easy fix would be to use a Sharkbite to reconnect, or you can also pick up a CPVC coupling and glue for that.

Stuff

Reaction score
The rope is classic!

I assume you bought a new filter and want to replace what you have. What about a large strap wrench to unscrew?

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a purpose-made wrench to grab the clear housing. Get the brand and model info to help identify the wrench.

Have your friend hold both pipes. You hold the blue with one hand, and turn the wrench handle to the left with the other.

Of course you will release the pressure.

Maybe you can figure a good way to mount that filter.

After you replace the cartridge, lube the o-ring with silicone grease before trying to reuse the o-ring. Also have a spare o-ring standing by, in case it does not go back in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks