whole house humidifier no longer humidifying enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Arizona CJ

Reaction score
Short version: drum-style bypass Lobb Wa2 whole-house humidifier used to be adequate, but no longer is (humidity often under 20%). I can't figure out why it's no longer adequate.

The house is in a dry air climate (northern Arizona, altitude 6200, so often cold in winter, deep snow, etc.). The humidifier was installed by a contractor by the former owner. Worked great for the first couple of years I had it I had it (kept the humidity 25 to 30% during winter). . Then I cleaned it and replaced the filter (It's my mother's house, I didn't live close then, and I was clueless on humidifiers, including maintaining them).

After I replaced the filter (with the manufacturer's recommended replacement, a foam-type filter, which was NOT what was in there) it seemed to no longer work adequately; it no longer kept the air above 20%, even after I turned the humidistat all the way to on. I checked that it was rotating when the furnace blower is on, the filter was wet, water level high enough, bypass duct was blowing, etc. It all checked out.

The original filter it had when working looked to have been a wick-type, about an inch and a half thick. It was so encrusted with lime that I had to chisel it off the holder. The replacement foam was only about a quarter inch thick once stretched on. I guessed that was the problem, so I tried to find a wicking filter. The drum is about 7" diameter, so nothing fit. I cobbled together one from 2 five inch ones (there were only about an inch thick) clipped together, which worked better, but not ok.

The humidifier box is on the return duct of a gas-fired furnace, which uses room air. The house is moderately sealed, not tight, and is well-insulated. The house is mid-sized, wood-frame construction, 3600 sq ft, but has more cubic airspace than that indicates, due to high (up to 22ft) ceilings in large parts of it. I don't think the humidifier is undercapacity, as it used to work ok.

The only modifications I made to the humidifier was (well after the inadequacy problem began) was to install a wick in the pan overflow, so it drips a gallon or so a day into the drain line. I found that doing this stops almost all the lime buildup. I also put a damper on the bypass duct (also well after the inadequacy problem began) so there's no bypass airflow during summer AC season (when the humidifier isn't running).

I've checked with three different humidity meters, the problem is real. My mother (it's her house, I'm just trying to fix it) has sinus problems, and has issues when the humidity is under 20%, so I need to fix this. I could just replace the unit, but I'd rather not unless I know what the actual problem is (I'd hate to replace it and have the same problem!).

Does this humidifier need a different filter, or is the problem something else? Any advice would be appreciated.

Fitter30

Reaction score
I've never heard of lobb did try to look them up they must be out of business and maybe sold. Any drum pad i saw was foam and was out of stock. Drum style as you found out holds all the minerals in the water that end up on the pad. An upgrade to a self clean pad style doesn't keep pad 100% clean but does a lot job. Aprilaire power humidifier or their bypass would be a good choice. Personally don't like the steam humidifiers any brand.

Arizona CJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

The former owner left the manuals for all the fixtures (A tremendous help to any buyer), and in this case it included the install receipt. The humidifier was installed in 2005 (about a year after the house was built), but appears to have been made in 1993 if the manual's date is anything to go by (but why would an installer sell and install a 12 year old unit?). I can't find online info on it anymore, except some filter specialty sites that now sell just foam replacement filters for it.

The drum internal diameter is 7 1/2 inches, a size I can't find anymore. Sunbeam used to make one, but no longer does. I'm definitely going to need to make the new filters from now on unless I replace the unit.

Agreed on the minerlization issue; that's why I put a drip wick in the overflow; it made it so the thing only needs cleaning once every two years rather than several times a season. I use a 7" piece of cotton shoelace (held in place with a small rock) as the wick, and it works great. I change the wick every two years.

I've been looking at replacement units, and I too don't like steam. I'm interested in the flow-through (the self-clean you mentioned) rather than drum, but I'd take either. The big limitation is the unit has to go on the side of the return duct, and I only have 14" to work with (the main housing can't be wider than that). I've found several (including Aprilair) that'll fit, BUT, I can't find specs on the drain capacity needed. The drain in the room this is in is just a standard PVC condensate drain for the AC (about 1 1/4"), not a full size drain, and putting in a bigger drain would be a hassle (slab floor). I'm guessing (based on the tiny supply line capacity, 1/4 inch) this current drain would be fine for a self-cleaning unit, but I don't know yet. I plan to find out.

Arizona CJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! As long as it doesn't have a reservoir pan that has to drain very fast (say, via a dump valve) even full flow from a 1/4 inch line would be no issue. And, in the link you posted (thank you again!) there's a "slso bought with" drain strainer, which tells me there's no dump valve, it's just a drain, so this would work.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
In moderate temperatures where little heat is needed. Do you run the blower to humidify or only rely on a humidistat?

Arizona CJ

Reaction score
In moderate temperatures where little heat is needed. Do you run the blower to humidify or only rely on a humidistat?
So far, it's only used when the heater is running a lot. The climate in the Arizona mountains is kind of weird; the summer months are mostly humid, so there's rarely a dryness problem in summer. If I put in a new one, I might try setting it up to run on blower when it's really dry.
If you need more humidity pipe hot water to the humidifier. Room temp air doesn't really evaporate much water.
I'll try that if I get a flow-though unit. On a drum type, the flow rate is so slow that the water would be cold by the time it got to the humidifier (the nearest hot water source is about 18 feet away.)

Look like I'm going to try a flow-though unit, though I won't try to install it until heating season is over.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks