Low water pressure post whole house filter install

Users who are viewing this thread

singular9

Reaction score
I have well water, it goes through a typical sediment media filtration system before it goes to the house. I didn't measure flow/psi at the house, but I took the pump from 65-70 up to 90 for this experiment, getting great flow and pressure simultaneously in the entire house. I can run laundry, dishwasher, and shower and get great pressure throughout all at once. Softener system is salt crystal.

I did a water test, and got very small trace of lead at the faucet with typical for well water iron content (which has been the case for 15 years). The fridge filter gets rid of all of that with no issues, and rarely needs to be replaced. The fridge filter for drinking water lasts a year, if not more, without any signs of being clogged up.

So considering that I only really need to get rid of some iron and trace metals, I figured why not install a DIY whole house system. I didn't feel like spending thousands of dollars considering I have never had any serious complaints about my well water other than the trace iron causing discoloration of toilets an stuff.

The system I installed is a waterdrop wd-whf21-fg, considering its amazon prime and its under 200$ I didn't mind experimenting. Installed per instruction, made sure water flowed through both filters, everything worked as intended, and have a bypass valve with dual side shut offs to the filters.

The filters are rated at 5 micron, while the sediment filter system at the well is also...rated at 5 micron (according to the internet. yes, this is the sediment media filters that have the sand looking like stuff inside). My pipes are pex 3/4" so I just used 3/4" to 1" fittings on both sides. Easy job.

The first day, we had a slight drop in pressure (while we were on the dynamic 40-70psi set up). Nothing really to note, everyone went about their day.

Over the weekend, so within about 4 days, we lost pretty much all pressure. If there is even ONE faucet open in the house, everything else barely functions properly. If you have the laundry going, good luck taking a shower. Hot water was especially affected. I thought, there is absolutely NO WAY that it could get clogged up in 4 days, when its rated at 12-15 GPM and up to 90 PSI.

So I took the filters out, and inspected them. They looked white and clean, and sure, the first filter that is supposed tod o the metals and sediment, was a bit murky but that is because I disturbed the filter, once flushed, water was crystal clear coming out. I then installed the carbon filter, primed the system with the pressure release valves, and let her rip. Pressure did not return to normal at all. I tried increasing the well pressure up to the maximum rated 90 psi, no avail.

The moment I turn on the bypass valve, water pressure is fantastic, so I know its the filters. Contacted water drop, they immediately sent me replacement filters no questions asked, so that is good.

My questions really is...is this normal?? Considering I haven't had any issues with my water before (other than trace metals and hardness if I forget about the salt), and that smaller, fridge filters last what seems like ages, how could something this big clog up in 4 days? As a matter of fact, over the 4 day weekend, there was almost no one home! Did a few laundry runs, and a few showers, and your usual stuff, but a lot less water than we normally use.

In my opinion, I feel like the rating is actually a lie, because there is no way I am getting the rated 12-15 GPM up to 90 PSI. It feels more like 2-3 GPM at 25 PSI.

I probably could spend money and install pressure gauges and such, but I feel the bypass valve already tells me what I need to know, and that is the filters are not being able to meet their rated spec. Again, I have been living without water filtration like this for 15 years without a single issue from our well water, its clean enough to drink according to testing, no sediment gets by, ever, past the filter at the well, and the media has been changed regularly as per required maintenance.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Everytime water passes through a device softener, filters or valves pressure drops. Running through a softener three filters and couple valves with every thing clean drop could be 12 to 18 lbs. Carbon filters are good for chlorine not so much for iron or trace metals.

singular9

Reaction score
Everytime water passes through a device softener, filters or valves pressure drops. Running through a softener three filters and couple valves with every thing clean drop could be 12 to 18 lbs. Carbon filters are good for chlorine not so much for iron or trace metals.
Even if it dropped 30PSI from the 90 inflow...it would still = 60PSI which is well over what is needed in doors. Your logic makes no sense with the math.

Prefilter (after softener, after main filter) water flow is adequate to feed every faucet in the house simultaneously with great pressure.

Fitter30

Reaction score
You have no idea how much pressure you have on the outlet just that you don't enough volume. Cut in a tee and a gauge on the outlet. Old gauge go to 0 if not buy 2. Pull both elements check flow then put one element back in at a time check flow see if there the about the same or one is alot more.

singular9

Reaction score
You have no idea how much pressure you have on the outlet just that you don't enough volume. Cut in a tee and a gauge on the outlet. Old gauge go to 0 if not buy 2. Pull both elements check flow then put one element back in at a time check flow see if there the about the same or one is alot more.
I actually did try the system one element at a time and I didn't notice an issue with flow when using just one element.

Reach4

Reaction score
I agree with your assessment -- that this is not up to the job, and they greatly exaggerated/misled.

What were your test numbers for hardness, iron, manganese, pH? Does your water have a significant smell?

singular9

Reaction score
I agree with your assessment -- that this is not up to the job, and they greatly exaggerated/misled.

What were your test numbers for hardness, iron, manganese, pH? Does your water have a significant smell?
I'm not at home to check the numbers, but hardness was always pretty high even with softener. Ph was usually in the high 6's it's slightly acidic. Iron is usually above normal. No smell. I don't have any other metals show up on the test as far as I know other than recently I got trace amounts of lead.

They sent me replacement filters, and I have a theory I'm gonna try, to run 2 sediment filters without the carbon filters, as I think it's the carbon filter that's bottlenecking the pressure, because when I tried just the metal/sediment filter it has excellent flow (got my basement wet lol).

Reach4

Reaction score
Are the cartridges standard size (4.5x10)? That would make getting replacement cartridges easier.

You also have the option of leaving a housing empty. If you leave the first sump empty, it might pick up some heavy sediment anyway.

A softener will remove light iron. You need to compensate by using more salt, and maybe doing some periodic extra treatments.

singular9

Reaction score
Are the cartridges standard size (4.5x10)? That would make getting replacement cartridges easier.

You also have the option of leaving a housing empty. If you leave the first sump empty, it might pick up some heavy sediment anyway.

A softener will remove light iron. You need to compensate by using more salt, and maybe doing some periodic extra treatments.
Yes standard 4.5x10.

We go through a butt load of Sault (cries) in my opinion it's a lot. Like 2-3 bags a month. And yeah we do treatments too, but if you take the test in a vacuum without, iron is usually our biggest issue. But it's not so high that you can't drink the water, there's no strange taste, color, or smell, even straight from the pump without filtration. I think what prompted me to add some filtration is mostly as a back up to reduce the iron even further as well as the sudden lead finding.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Did you check the pump pressure WHILE water is being used? If the pump pressure stays up when water is being used, but the house pressure drops, then the filters are the problem. Just make sure you are not losing pressure at the pump. I think the filters are doing what they said as it was working to start with. A 5 micron filter clogs quickly, which I think is your problem.

singular9

Reaction score
Did you check the pump pressure WHILE water is being used? If the pump pressure stays up when water is being used, but the house pressure drops, then the filters are the problem. Just make sure you are not losing pressure at the pump. I think the filters are doing what they said as it was working to start with. A 5 micron filter clogs quickly, which I think is your problem.
Yes I was monitoring this and the pump was set for 40 low 70 high and I set it to 50 low 90 high to test if more.lressure would help. Yes the pump easily maintains pressure.

I checked the filters. Not clogged, they're like new when I opened them. Considering my water goes to the house already filtered once down to 5 microns, I don't see how it could clog in a day from a few showers and a run of laundry.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump is cycling on and off while water is being used, the wide bandwidth of 50/90 could be a big part of the problem. When the pump starts at 50 it is only about half as much pressure as when the pump shuts off at 90. Using a Cycle Stop Valve to deliver a strong constant 70 PSI would feel much strong than when the pump is cycling between 50 and 90. A pump that is cycling on and off is not maintaining pressure.

I also still think the filter is clogged. You can't even tell, especially by looking, when a 5 micron filter is clogged as it takes so little to clog it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks