15 year old water heater leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

rocky126

Reaction score
Hello,

Im trying to see if its salvageable. It seems to be leaking from the red ring that has some corrosion issues on the connection. However, the white ring in the middle is loose and can be picked up but has no corrosion underneath it. The heater is about 15 years old. I live in Az. where the water is very hard. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 187

Reach4

Reaction score
Tie a cloth strip around the nipple about 1 inch above the red. If that gets wet, that would show the water is coming from above.

It the cloth stays dry, replace the WH.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replace that hot water flex, take a wire brush to clean up the threads on the nipple,
if it is bad replace it otherwise wrap it with two turns of Teflon tape

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, you'll never find Teflon (TM) tape...Dupont doesn't make it and doesn't supply the raw material to those that do...what you'll find is PTFE (generic Teflon) tape. Not all tissues are Kleenex, nor all tape Scotch, or all copies Xeroxes.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Apart from trying to fix what you have, I would put a $$ piggy bank next to this WH, towards a new WH.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many condo associations require replacement at 10 years if you're on a second story or above. The water damage caused by a bad water heater is always more than the water replacement cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks