11.25 actual rough in, why is this so difficult?

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael-S

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a plumber, as I definitely am not. But this does not seem easy.

The rough in, not counting the baseboard, is about 11.25"
The floor has radiant in-floor heating, so concrete floor.
This part of the house (new concrete foundation, in-floor radiant, etc.) was remodeled about 20 years go. Not sure of specifics on the bathroom.
The current toilet is a very old American Standard. 4 bolts, rear two are used. Must be 45 years old. Older?

My criteria are TOTO, low height rim (not comfort height), and as this is a very small half bath space savings is important.

My question: is there anyway to know if a specific 12" rough will fit? I've been looking at TOTO schematics all weekend. My plumber said a 10" will definitely fit, a 12 may fit. My concern with a 10" is I may have 2-2.5" between the toilet and wall. This has become so challenging I may need to order a 10 and a 12.

Any professional thoughts are appreciated.

I'm looking at a TOTO UltraMax, or Eco, round, 12" rough
https://www.totousa.com/eco-ultramax-one-piece-toilet-128-gpf-round-bowl
https://www.totousa.com/ultramax-one-piece-toilet-16-gpf-round-bowl

Or the new Drake
https://www.totousa.com/drake-two-piece-toilet-16-08-gpf-elongated-bowl

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The MS853113E needs 11.5" to the wall. You could also move the closet bolts out 1/4" further from the wall and it would work assuming the back wall is vertical.

I would not bother with the dual flush CST746 bowl. I gave one to my son Jamie to try out in his home and two months later he changed it out for a Drake II model.

The original Drake, CST744 and CST743 series will install at 10-7/8"

Michael-S

Reaction score
Thank you, Terry. So moving bolts in a concrete floor is not necessarily a red flag for the Eco Ultramax?

So the CST743S sounds like my safe choice, which should give me about a .25" gap to the wall.

Sounds like you do not any of the new Drakes, or is it just the dual flush?

If I was to go 10" rough, is there a way to minimize the wall gap?

Thanks.

The MS853113E needs 11.5" to the wall. You could also move the closet bolts out 1/4" further from the wall and it would work assuming the back wall is vertical.

I would not bother with the dual flush CST746 bowl. I gave one to my son Jamie to try out in his home and two months later he changed it out for a Drake II model.

The original Drake, CST744 and CST743 series will install at 10-7/8"

Michael-S

Reaction score
And if there are any other Toto 12" models that would work, I guess I can always adjust my budget for this to be done. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jame was telling me that the dual flush on the CST746 was sticking, and the bowl was hard to keep clean.
He's used to the original Drake.

Moving the bolts............the horn on a TOTO at the outlet is 2-5/8" going into a 3" drain. That lets you shift the bowl 3/8" if the bolts are also moved. I sometimes install a repair ring to hold those if the flange is notched and if you have slots there, you can just move the bolts.

The II Series, which I like a lot, has the taller bowl at 16-1/8" so if you want standard height that won't work.

Markings for TOTO
F = 16-1/8"
L = 16-1/2"

For the others not having the F or L normally means 14-5/8"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks