10" Rough in Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

JJLJr

Reaction score
OK. I've been on this forum for awhile now and you've convinced me to buy the Drake. One problem. I have 11" rough in and need the 10" Drake and no one in my area has any and Toto says it will be months before any are available. I asked a supplier about using the 12" Drake and he told me that there is only 3/4" room behind and that it wouldn't fit for an 11" rough in. I know that everyone is against the AS Cadet but at least it's available in a 10".

Does anyone know of a place in RI that has a 10" Drake? I'm not comfortable ordering a toilet on-line as I really don't want to have to ship it back if there's a problem. I really wanted to install the toilet this weekend so I'm probably going to go down to the local HD which has a few on hand.

I have to say I'm disappointed. Everyone touted Toto as this great company and yet they can't provide the product.

I would appreciate any suggestions or even other alternatives for 10" toilets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've answered this one many times.
The Drake will install at 10-7/8"
I've done this dozens of times. Also since the horn is 2-5/8" and your drain is at least 3", it's possible to move the closet bolts away from the wall 1/4"
It will work with the standard 12" rough Drake.

I stock the 10" Drake in the Seattle area.
It's a nice toilet with a taller bowl.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Drake's spec sheet has (I think?) changed. It used to show a much larger space behind than the current one on their website (which now shows 0.75" space behind the toilet). Did they change the spec sheet, the toilet, or both? Could it be that the addition of the Drake II caused them to change the Drake as well? If so, then this could be a problem. Not to throw a wrench in the works, as the (older) Drakes I bought do have a fairly large space behind them. If you believe the (new?) spec sheets, that may no longer be true of the newest production.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jim,
We have and continue to install the Drake at less then 11"

I don't give a rip what the drafter thinks, or even if it's been updated in years.
I go by what I'm pulling out of the boxes.
My customers aren't having problems either with the 11" rough-ins.

Last edited:

Sdradius

Reaction score
It will fit. My remodeler was also concerned about the rought-in but it went down just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJLJr

Reaction score
I was able to fit the 12" Drake in the 11" rough in; however, I do think the specs are accurate at 11 1/4" as I had to slide the toilet out about a 1/4". I love the Drake. I especially like the 3 point contact on the tank. I don't know how many times I've installed a tank and would worry that I might tighten it a little too much.

My wife loves the toilet except the noise when it flushes. The toilet is much louder than our older one. My guess is that because there's less water it has too be more forceful maiking the flush louder. Other than the flush noise, it's pretty quiet and fills really quickly. Are all new toilets louder than the old ones or is it just the Totos? I'd like to replace the toilet in my main bathroom with a Toto but my wife isn't so sure.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks