10" rough in but still tight

Users who are viewing this thread

AKRBT

Reaction score
I have a very tight basement toilet/shower room. The toilet has a 10" rough in (I measured from wall to center of bolts). The toilet is an odd one, when you flush it there is an internal action in the tank that dumps the whole tank's contents at once, in a rocker type action, not anything like any toilet valves I have seen before. So maybe this toilet has an oddly thick tank?

Anyway, for six years I have been holding the toilet seat ring when I pee, because it will not stand up, because the tank lid overhangs too much, because the tank is too tight against the wall. The toilet seat cover does stay up (and this toilet seat has been replaced, so it was not the issue).

If I replace said toilet with another 10" rough in toilet will I have the same issue with the tank being too tight against the wall? Are there certain models that have narrower back dimensions or narrower tanks? It should also be a powerful model because of basement location, so preferably no low flow versions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of the Niagara bowls came with a slotted bowl that allowed either a 10" or a 12" installation. If this is what you have, you may be able to adjust the tank to the bowl better.

niagara_side1.jpg

Or there are other brands that have bowls that will install at 9-1/4" and allow the seat to stay up.

AKRBT

Reaction score
20190823_165401_001.jpg
20190823_165406.jpg
20190823_165257.jpg
20190823_165304.jpg
20190823_165311.jpg
20190823_165320.jpg
Some of the Niagara bowls came with a slotted bowl that allowed either a 10" or a 12" installation. If this is what you have, you may be able to adjust the tank to the bowl better.

niagara_side1.jpg

Or there are other brands that have bowls that will install at 9-1/4" and allow the seat to stay up.

It is a Glacier Bay

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Made by the same place. Glacier Bay is by Niagara.

If you have 10" from floor to center of drain, then pick up a different brand.
American Standard makes a Cadet 3 with 10" tank
TOTO makes a 10" bowl in their Drake line CST744EF.10
Kohler makes a 10" tank for their bowls.

AKRBT

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for your feedback. Do you think they put in the hopper style because of the basement location, i.e. is it really a much more powerful flush? I have heard certain "regular" toilets are better than others at flushing power, even when comparing one non-super-low-flow to another.

AKRBT

Reaction score
Sorry - I see you did recommend some toilets.
If you had your choice for powerful flushing (we don't pay for water consumption where I live) would you recommend a TOTO EcoDrake 1.28, TOTO Drake 1.6, American Standard Cadet 3 Powerwash 1.28, or American Standard Cadet 3 Powerwash 1.6?
Thank you

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Anchorage I sell mainly TOTO. Any of the Drakes work fine. They come with either the 1.28 or the 1.6 tank. Of the two, more water always does better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks