How to fasten kitchen sink handle (Delta?)

Users who are viewing this thread

eveplumb

Reaction score
Faucet handle came off of stem. I assumed that a hex set screw attached it, but no screw found, and the hole where I would think a screw would go doesn't go all the way through; plus I don't see threads (though it's very small; hard to see).

I tried an 8/32 and 6/32 screw; both seemed too big; but the 6/32 was very close. The hardware store I went to didn't have smaller diameter screw than 6/32. I believe this is an American Standard faucet (hole was covered with red/blue plastic logo). Could it be a screw with smaller diameter than 6/32"?

Any ideas? I'm now wondering if this doesn't use a screw, but attaches another way?

Photos:

delta-kitchen-handle-repair-01.jpg

delta-kitchen-handle-repair-02.jpg

delta-kitchen-handle-repair-03.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Delta handle is held by an allen screw. It does thread all the way through when it's new. Some of the screw may have broken off.

delta-140-parts.jpg

delta-one-handle.jpg

Last edited:

eveplumb

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry. After you mentioned that the screw may have been broken off, I took a closer look, and now I think I know what happened: the screw is still there, but the hex head got badly stripped, so it appears round...I think the screw just got kind of welded in there. I'll try to replace the handle; probably no way to get the screw out now or otherwise use the current handle?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry. After you mentioned that the screw may have been broken off, I took a closer look, and now I think I know what happened: the screw is still there, but the hex head got badly stripped, so it appears round...I think the screw just got kind of welded in there. I'll try to replace the handle; probably no way to get the screw out now or otherwise use the current handle?
handel cheap ! ive drilled and retapped but wasent worth it

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Delta is good about their warranty system. I’ve had them cover and send me new faucets for things they shouldn’t have. I guess it’s worth a shot but that handle there won’t set you back much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks