Hip surgery.Need to SAFELY elevate seat on Elongated Toto Drake 3-4 inches. Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Just had hip joint surgery, a friend lent me his toilet seat with handles that go to the floor and fits over the existing toilet..... I didn't try it ahead of surgery. The thing is so narrow(front to back) , I really cant fit on the thing, difficult to get my job done and pee at the same time. Or , my "junk" hits the front of the toilet bowl. Yes , the seat is that narrow front to back.
Ive looked extensively online... all products seem to either not fit safely on the existing toilet and slip, or are again, too narrow.... I need elongated not standard fit. Have any of you had surgery where you actually found a product that works well. The pictures on a website dont tell the full story.
If I have to drill a few holes to put in wall handles for stability , i will do that. Your advice is appreciated.
Toto Drake, target 3 or so inches elevation. That does not slip on the existing toilet.
Hope I described the situation well. Thanks All.

Reach4

Reaction score
A Toilet Seat Elevator (Elongated) may work for you.
Carex makes one. Medicare might pay for one if prescribed by a doctor, but they are not that expensive. I have no experience with that.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I use in those dirty porta potty's . at work are 2 2x4s flat on each side keeps those creepy germs way with slight chance of splinters. adds 3 inches height oh yea keeps everything outta the blue water as well

Reaction score
What I use in those dirty porta potty's . at work are 2 2x4s flat on each side keeps those creepy germs way with slight chance of splinters. adds 3 inches height oh yea keeps everything outta the blue water as well
Hey, wait till its your turn and you need hip surgery....then think about how funny your post was......

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait till its your turn and you need hip surgery....then think about how funny your post was......

Didn't mean harm. just a joke the joke wasn't about your condition my apology. And If you're a Veteran Thank you and all for their service

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I figured there must be some others with the same health experience I am having with hip joint replacement. I know there are guys out there that have the empathy of a turnip because thats just how they are wired. My dad was like that. I am just the opposite. Must be the wiring....

Reaction score
Maybe,

For my mother I had the hand rest supports that went to the floor. That seemed like a lot better way of doing it.

Thanks Terry. 1) Will this work on Toto Drake. Also, 2) The existing elongated seat i use has plastic twist tops, to tighten it, do I need another seat that doesnt have twist ons? Much appreciated

SwannyRiver

Reaction score
Centoco has 2 in and 3 in. seats that look like regular toilet seats. they are pricey but are the safest ones I've used.

';.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Just had hip joint surgery, a friend lent me his toilet seat with handles that go to the floor and fits over the existing toilet..... I didnt try it ahead of surgery. The thing is so narrow(front to back) , I really cant fit on the thing,difficult to get my job done and pee at the same time. Or , my "junk" hits the front of the toilet bowl. Yes , the seat is that narrow front to back.
Ive looked extensively online... all products seem to either not fit safely on the existing toilet and slip, or are again, too narrow.... I need elongated not standard fit. Have any of you had surgery where you actually found a product that works well. The pictures on a website dont tell the full story.
If I have to drill a few holes to put in wall handles for stability , i will do that. Your advice is appreciated.
Toto Drake, target 3 or so inches elevation. That does not slip on the existing toilet.
Hope I described the situation well. Thanks All.

OK, Here is an update with hope that this will help others that will have Hip Joint Replacement .
I was using one of those portable 4 legged (for handle stability) toilets with the seat size the size of a cooking pot.. Needless to say, they just dont cut it especially if you just had surgery.
I went with Terry.s Carex toilet seat with integrated handles in his reference below. (thanks Terry)
I actually called Carex and they told me their toilet was NOT compatible with the TOTO Drake. Different bolt sizes.... but, I had already ordered it.
If you look at Amazon , the biggest complaint about that model is you have to tighten the wing nuts often and the whole extended plastic housing moves around and is unstable.
They send you a 6 inch bolt with two plastic washers , one metal washer and one wingnut (they do fit the Toto Drake).... Not enough bite on porcelain to get it to secure properly and the Carex extension housing just floats and slides on the porcelain toilet ... ..
I had some rubberized material used for a shower installation and cut 4 washers the size of the existing provided washers.
I bought 2 extra plastic washers, 4 extra metal washers and 2 metal lockwashers. Bottom line, there is now a very good bite on the top of the toilet seat with the rubberized material and bottom of porcelain with those washers and a lockwasher with wingnut that stays put.
I used 6 pieces of velcro on the porcelain contact points, front, sides and back of the toilet contact area, but far enough away that no liquid will come in contact with the velcro in the future.
The seat is solid, stays put, bolts seem to hold well and addresses the concerns of those on amazon that had complaints. Since this will only be used for about 6 weeks , I dont consider it a permanent solution. The handles are stable enough to get up and down if you are careful.
Hope this helps others in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks