14" Rough-In Toilet Choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Tjk045

Reaction score
Hello. Thanks for responding. So what does a 12" toilet with 12" unifit do?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 12" toilet with the 12" unifit would not move. It would act and feel like a 12".
A 12" toilet with the 10" unifit could set out farther in the room by 2"
A 12" toilet with the 14" unifit would snuggle a little closer to the wall by 2"

Either way, 15-1/2" is a long ways out.

Tjk045

Reaction score
Thank you very much. So there really isn't much difference in how far it would move back with a 12" toilet with 14" unifit and a 14" with a 14"?

Tjk045

Reaction score
Ok...I think I might be missing something here. You listed again the Toto models that move the bowl back 2". I'm looking at one of the cheapest Totos I see. A 12" Carusoe with a 12" unifit. Could I buy that toilet and the 14" unifit and get the toilet back 2"?

Tjk045

Reaction score
and yes, it is A LONG WAYS OUT. And it's literally driving me nuts. I'm about to build something over it to hide it!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Caruso is not one of the bowls that use a unift.

You do realize that there are three unifits, and they they need a bowl that uses them. In your case, the 14" unift would move the bowl closer to the wall 2"

There is no such thing as a 14" bowl.
That is way something like a unifit is used to move the bowl back closer to the wall.

unifit_choice.jpg

You can't use these with just any toilet. The bowl has to be designed to work with them. The one on the right is the 14"

Tjk045

Reaction score
Oh...and I can't wait to tear into the bathtub. I'm sure I'll have 50 problems with that as well

Tjk045

Reaction score
TOTO CST715 Round Carusoe Two Piece Toilet 1.6 GPF

Round Carusoe Two Piece Toilet 1.6 GPF

The TOTO 1.6 Gpf toilet received high ratings in independent laboratory performance tests. With a powerful and quiet flush design, the toilet also offers a large water surface.

Key Features
Round Front Bowl - C715
12" Unifit rough - in
Streamline Tank and Cover - ST706
Complete with tank trim and coupling components
Low consumption (6 Lpf / 1.6 Gpf) gravity flushing action
Tank fittings, complete with flush valve, ballcock, and chrome - plated trip lever included
Five Year Limited Warranty
NOTE:Seat is not included. Refer Recommended Accessories for Toilet Seats

Product SKUs Product Options
C715-03 Bone
ST706-03 Bone
C715-11 Colonial White
ST706-11 Colonial White
C715-01 Cotton White
ST706-01 Cotton White
C715-12 Sedona Beige
ST706-12 Sedona Beige

TOTO Warranty
CST715 Product Specifications
CST715 Product Install Guide

Bowl Height 14.63
Bowl Shape Round
Collection Carusoe
Configuration 2 Piece
DA No
Depth 26.13
Flush Type Gravity
Gallons Per Flush 1.60
Height 28.38
Installation Type Floor Mounted
Lever Placement Left
Material Vitreous China
Rough In 12
Seat Included No
Trapway 2.13
Trip Lever Placement Left
Width 19.50

TOTO Round Carusoe Two Piece Toilet 1.6 GPF - CST715
1.0 (based on 1 review)
Ratings Distribution

5 Stars
(0)
4 Stars
(0)
3 Stars
(0)
2 Stars
(0)
1 Stars
(1)

Low water level in bowl
Poor flushing performance
Best Uses

Comments about TOTO Round Carusoe Two Piece Toilet 1.6 GPF - CST715:

This is a bad toilet. The claim to "large water surface" is a joke. Ours had very little water in the bowl. I called Toto tech support and they had us measure the surface area, which was 6" x 7" as opposed to the 8.5" x 10" they said it should have. They sent a new bowl. No better. Also, you have to flush it twice almost every time for anything solid. It has a very weak flush. I had heard great things about Toto in general and we have a Drake that works fine, but we are extremely disappointed in this model, as well as the misleading claims about it on this website.

Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend

(1 of 1 customers found this review helpful)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tjk045

Reaction score
Wow...that copied more than I expected. Anyway, half way down that post, it claims 12" unifit...is that not true?

Tjk045

Reaction score
Ok...let me put it this way. If this was your house, and you didnt want to spend 4-500 on a toilet...what would you do? Leave it and "hide" it? Or do you have(hopefully) a better solution?

Tjk045

Reaction score
I've been in this house for 12 years. Never had a problem with the toilet. Still don't except that it's somewhat ugly and is 3 1/2" from the wall. Which I never noticed and didn't bother me until I started tearing things apart

Tjk045

Reaction score
But unless I'm missunderstanding you, I have to buy a 12" or 14" rough in(one of the ones you listed) and a 14" unifit, or I have to leave it as is

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
I think you should tear up the concrete. Just smash it up.
By the way, why would you install a Carusoe when you can get a Drake for 200 bones.
Neither of those are helping your 15.5 rhough
I say jsut tere it out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The toilets that are designed to use the Unifit adapter all come with the 12" one. If you want to move the bowl, you throw that away and also buy the size unifit you need (in your case the 14"). By using this longer adapter, it pushes the whole thing back towards the wall an additional 2" (from the stock 12" one). There's no credit for the 12" unifit, so you end up with a piece to trash. Seems annoying, but that's the way they do it. The II versions (of those available) have better bowl wash than the 'original' versions (without a version number in the product name). But, I have two Totos with the Unifit (a Vespin and a Carlyle), and both work great. This flexibility costs as they are a bit more complex to manufacture, and they actually have some style. If the gap isn't that big, and you want to save some money, the Drake or Drake II are good performers, but you'll have at least that much gap, if not more. As Terry mentioned, the toilet must be made to use the Unifit, and only some Totos do - it is not a universal adapter that can be used with other brands or models except those designed for it.

Most people don't remodel their bathrooms very often, and this decision will stick with you for probably 15-20 years or more, so over that time, it makes some sense to bite the bullet and do something you'll like. The cost to move the flange would be much more than a toilet that would move it closer to the wall (a Toto with a Unifit). But, you'd still have close to 2" gap as if it was perfect, there's normally a 3/4" gap. Yours is 1.5" further out that even that non-standard standard 14", so it should be 2.25", if you measured correctly. You can fudge the attachment maybe a 1/4-inch or so, and probably get it to 2", but unlikely to get more.

Last edited:

Calvin

Reaction score
Insulated tank toilet w/14 in rough in

My house is quirky, and my only bathroom is quite small. I'm planning to replace my Homart toilet, which seems to be original to the house, because it gathers so much condensation in the summer that it's rotted the plywood subfloor. Our mixing valve can't handle extreme heat and humidity, so now we're going to try an insulated tank.

I was set to order a Toto Drake (round seat) until I realized I have a 15" rough in. From the discussions here, I understand I could theoretically use that model anyway; however, it would leave no leg room.

From my research, none of the Toto toilets is available with both 14" unifit AND an insulated tank. Is that so? If that's the case, would you please suggest the best alternative solution?

So far, it seems my choices are to re-rough in the plumbing, which sounds expensive, or to go with the Gerber Avalanche, which seems unpopular. What say you?

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Old toilets used 3.5 gallons of water per flush which totally emptied the tank. The incoming water was very cold and this caused condensation especially in very warm climates. New low flow toilets use on 1/2 the water in the tank, and even less in the newer 1.2 gpf models. Since the water in the tank is at room temperature, and only half of it is used, the refill is only half a tank and than mixes with the already room temperature water. The result is no condensation. So, an insulated tank is really not needed.

Calvin

Reaction score
So, an insulated tank is really not needed.

I've heard that and hope it's so, but I'm hesitant to do a new toilet and floor only to learn that we needed an insulated tank after all. It's a relatively small investment at this point for peace of mind, esp. since some materials we're considering (marmoleum and beadboard) would not fare well with standing water.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lot of the old toilets I pull out have molde on the bottom. Those tanks emptied out and refilled with cold water.
I don't see that problem on the new toilets we're installing.

I have sold a few insulated tanks, mainly in Alaska.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks