14" Rough-In Toilet Choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look at Terry's store to get an idea of a fair street price on toilets. Don't go by the retail prices. Call a few places and you may be quite surprised on your local street prices. I think the Vespin is the least expensive Toto that uses the UniFit adapter...I have one, it works fine (installed nearly 14-years ago) and a Carlyle. The II series have better bowl wash, but the need for that often depends on your diet.

jaXx

Reaction score
Hello!

This has been a great resource; I have an east coast home built in the 1930s with 14" rough-ins all around.

I'm trying to decide between the Carlyle II (MaP >=600) and the Carolina II (MaP >=350).

They seem identical except for the tank height in schematics, but according to MaP, the Carlyle II has a 3" flapper and a much higher score.

Can anyone help me break the tie?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They Carlyle II and Carolina II are the same except for the tank height. I would opt for the taller tank if it fits. The shorter Carolina is sometimes used under a banjo countertop.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While the toilet doesn't actually dump the entire tank when you flush, just like a water tower helps provide the pressure to the supply system, a taller toilet tank gives things a bit more oomph when you flush because it has to fall further to get into the bowl.

jaXx

Reaction score
Thanks Terry (et al.)!

Moving forward with the Carlyle II for those reasons (higher tank, slightly increased pressure). Since I'm not working with a height restriction it seems like the right way to go (also, cheaper than the Carolina II by some $40-60).

I'll report back after I install and it has passed the trial-by-father-in-law.

And in the meantime, spreading the word about this site to my Seattle-area homeowner friends!

jaXx

Reaction score
happy to finally close the loop; carlyle II fits perfectly, and definitely does the job (passed with flying colors).

took about 2 hours to install due to a subfloor issue in the 1930's house

thanks again for all your help!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ms974-14-01.jpg

A condo from the 1920's with a 14" rough, toilet next to the door that swings in. It was just barely clearing a standard round bowl toilet.

ms974-14-02.jpg

Drop a 14" TOTO Unifiit down to change the rough in and move the bowl back 2".

ms974-14-03.jpg

And then place the TOTO Guinevere over the Unifit to complete the installation.
This elongated bowl toilet, giving the homeowner 1.5" more space, also clears the door by more room. It's a win-win.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That Guinevere fits the decor nicely! Now only if the customer would be inspired to clean that sink, it could be a model bathroom!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
My first exposure to this thread. The pictures of the toilet by the window makes me think that there may be some golden opportunities to save water, taking advantage of the layout. If the neighbors should put up some curtains, that is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My first exposure to this thread. The pictures of the toilet by the window makes me think that there may be some golden opportunities to save water, taking advantage of the layout.

Yuck! I've seen that done before. In that home I pulled the standard height bowl and brought in an ADA for height.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
unifit-install-02.jpg

Something like 15" rough-in?

unifit-install-03.jpg

I fudged this 14" Unfit over to about 14" from the wall. It as a 4" drain, so why not?

unifit-install-05.jpg

Hey, works for me. A Vespin II with the 1.0 gallon tank that gets the rebate in Seattle.
Because of the tub, we were trying to pull it back to the wall as close as we could.

unifit-install-07.jpg

And then some clear caulking. At least it will be dry and clear in the morning.

240sxguy

Reaction score
I know this is a really old post, but I found this toilet after following many links. I presume the Unifit is still the best way to end up with a toilet that doesn't stick out into the room any further than it needs to on a 14" rough in?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are now other brands that have available adapters for moving the bowl back 2"
I do install al lot of the TOTO products for this though. I had one home we installed at that had 10", 12" and 14" roughs.
So we set one with a 10" unifit, one with the standard 12" they come with, and one with a 14". Same toilet, three different roughs, and all the same distance from the wall.

kgardnez

Reaction score
Replying to a ancient thread as it appears to be the best discussion of 14" rough-in on the internet!
I have 3 toilets to upgrade and all would be best with 14" and the smallest footprint possible.
But I struggle as materials alone seem to be $1K per toilet, and that's a lot of extra money to gain a couple issues vs. a great performing toilet such as the Drake.

Reach4

Reaction score
Vespin II will cost your ~$1000 per toilet including the 14 inch unifit.

But it will save some space between the toilet and maybe the tub. Worth it?

Vespin flushes like a Drake.

Is your rough-in 14.0 inches?

kgardnez

Reaction score
Vespin II will cost your ~$1000 per toilet including the 14 inch unifit.

But it will save some space between the toilet and maybe the tub. Worth it?

Vespin flushes like a Drake.

Is your rough-in 14.0 inches?
Thanks for the feedback, yes the rough-in is 14"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks