Wye broke off at vertical cast iron from stupid plumbers - what now?

Users who are viewing this thread

FranZ28

Reaction score
Bought the house 3 years ago - the 3 bottles of drain cleaner I found in the garage was an indicator lol..

Either way - whoever plumbed in the new bath before us pushed the last 4 feet of pipe down enough for it to run up hill, and month after month our food particles would slowly collect till the washer threw all the water up in the laundry room.. The cast iron was obviously sitting in water for years leading up to the final moment - the whole bottom section was rotted out basically and a few light taps to try break out the already rotted out section popped the rest of it off..

Anyway - we have a TINY house, 660 square ft and just me and the wife and 1 bathroom, so I managed to putty in a 1-1/2 inch pipe which I just manage to hammer in 1/4" into the cast iron so we could be up and running and coupled it to the 2 inch main line with a rubber slip union and checked every joints angle till it all flowed downhill-

The loo sits directly above the vertical stack and I didnt want to deal with pulling loose -

Can just that piece be replaced without removing the loo or does the loo need to come out as well to pull the stack off?

Or can I grind down the iron and put some kind of saddle in?

Attachments

• drain-1.jpg
    drain-1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 246

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The easiest method may be to pull the loo and then work your way up from the bottom with a new closet flange for the toilet to set on.
You might be able to cut and leave 1.5" above the hub fitting there to couple on new pipe and fittings, or perhaps drilling and prying the lead out of the hub and using a donut push in some new pipe. Either way, it's not a friendly job to undertake.

lead-bend-replace-06.jpg

DIYorBust

Reaction score
You are in for a world of pain. If you can clean it up and get a fernco on it that may be your best bet. I have no doubt that many of the folks on this board could replace that wye. But it's a ton of labor, and it looks like an unpleasant job. I wonder if it might actually make more sense to run a new sewer connection. If you end up needing to do that anyway in a few years your investment in this project could be for naught. From a practical perspective though, if you have it puttied in and it's working, is there really a problem? Someone might catch it if you sell the house, but realistically it might work for years until the toilet or sewer line needs replacing anyway.

FranZ28

Reaction score
DIYorbust - yeah i think it will hold for a long time- I will prob go back in and either add some more waterweld over the tiny stress crack where its currently leaking and extend the 1-1/2 in a little more cos when I put the slip on it pulled back a little more than I wanted, OR hog it out to take a 2" (that will let me drop it 1/4" which will only help!) and then re-putty the 2" in there, and trust me it will work for at least 15 years.. iron is good- has a SLOW leak from a hairline crack right at putty border right now but its working fine..

IF we redo the bathroom ill repair properly but tearing half the bathroom up right now just to make it "perfect" is just not an option - its working fine as is - just a bit of a "hack" job :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks