Aftermarket tile flange on cast iron tub OR on Victoria + Albert tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

LRH

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience putting an aftermarket, field-installed tile flange on a cast iron tub or on a Victoria + Albert limestone resin tub?

Our situation is that back in 2008, we ignorantly had an old, cast iron, alcove tub put in, that does not have a flange on it, to be used as a tub/shower combo. The contractor told us that the tile setter would seal it so that it wouldn't be a problem. Unsurprisingly, now that I've learned more, it turns out that it was a problem and we ended up with significant water damage behind the wall and into our bedroom on the other side. We didn't have the resources at the time to redo the whole tub/shower, so we fixed the water damage as best we could from the other side and just put up a second shower curtain against the wall to keep water off it. Then, a couple of months ago, we had another leak from corroded plumbing, which led to more water damage, so we're finally looking at pulling out the whole thing to repair the damage and finally replace the tub with one that has a flange.

I thought I wanted another cast iron tub, but I just got introduced to the Victoria + Albert limestone tubs, and I really like them. But they only have one alcove option with an integral flange, the Kaldera 2, and it's 60x32, whereas our space is 60x30. They do have a 60x30 Kaldera 1, and the costumer service person at Victoria + Albert told me it's not available with an integral flange, but that I could buy an aftermarket flange to put on it. She did not have any recommendation for what kind of aftermarket flange.

I'm a little nervous about more water damage at this point and really don't want to put something else in that's going to end up being a problem again. Do any of you know if putting an aftermarket flange on the Kaldera 1 would really be a viable solution? And if so, what kind of flange we should look at?

OR, could we just put an aftermarket tile flange on our existing cast iron tub? Would that be waterproof?

Thank you!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've installed a couple "top mount" tubs as alcove situations with an aftermarket glue on flange. It came in a roll and I believe it was either american standard or jacuzzi brand. We siliconed and clamped it in place and let sit for a long time before installing. We used a LOT of silicone.

LRH

Reaction score
Thanks, Tuttles Revenge. Was that on an acrylic tub, or something else? I'm imagining the material of the tub would make a difference in how well it adheres.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It was on an acrylic. I've never done it on the synthetic/resin based stone.. tho we use silicone or latex caulk to adhere them down to the floor.

CC tub question

Reaction score
@LRH did you end up figuring this out? I have encountered the exact same quandary as you - ordered the Kaldera 60x30 (that's all that will fit) and am now looking for a good aftermarket tile flange. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We've recently installed a composite stone shower base that we ordered with flanges to be installed at their factory. The factory used a hard plastic semi flexible flange that they cut to fit each length of the walls and caulked them onto the base. The corners appear to be butted together and only the caulk holding that joint, which seemed rather weak.. but applying a bit of pressure I couldn't break the joint. The company is MTI. When ordering from them in a couple instances, I did talk to one of their techs.. Not sure if you could call them and glean some useful info or not.

MTIBaths.com

1709141081488.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks