Wonky toilet issue. 3rd and 2nd floor clogging and slow flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

sean nelson

Reaction score
Ok here goes. I have a 3 story home with a bathroom on each floor and all are above each other which I assume that means they are on a shared drain line and vent stack. I'm having a devil of a time figuring out what the real issue is that's troubling the toilets. I keep thinking I have a venting issue but only as auguring and snaking has been done at varying times. here's a bit o history below.

I have had over the years intermittent clogging issues with the 3rd and 2nd floor toilets. They also seem to regularly slow drain. The first floor toilet seems to have consistently worked fine. The most recent issue was someone used the toilet on the 3rd floor and flushed only urine and the toilet overflowed the bowl. dafunk?

what I've tried:
I have had the main line (from the basement connection) cleared a month ago. I have used a toilet auger on the 3rd and 2nd-floor toilets about a month ago when they were both experiencing issues with backing up. I did have to fight a bit to get the auger thru on one of the toilets, but i was also using a bit of a cheap auger... I have filled both the 3rd and 2nd flr toilets with muriatic acid and let sit for an hour as I heard this was a good way to help with slow flow issues by clearing the water jetting area(however it didn't seem to do anything).

What i haven't done in ages:
I haven't personally run a larger snake down the line from the 3rd floor toilet down to the basement, but i think this was done back in 2005 or so.

So that should be a good start of info and hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction for me to address this or get a service tech over to take on what I'm not equipped to do.

Thanks for any help!

Note - tools I have are
crappy auger - should have gotten the 40$ model.
A rigid 2" snake with all the varying heads.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The augers with the small ends can sometimes slide right by the obstruction.

toilet-minions.jpg

I would guess you issue to be something in the trapway of the bowl. Sometimes it's easier to just replace the bowl than to pour acid in it and hope it dissolves what is there.

toilet-glasses.jpg

auger_02.jpg

sean nelson

Reaction score
noted and thanks for the reply. From your advice and another persons i think i may be in toilet replacment territory.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks