Why did old faucets not require cartridges, unlike High-Arc ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Minni

Reaction score
At least it seems to me that newer, high-arc faucets seem to require cartridges, while the old ones such as Delta B2310LF don't. Which can pose a problem if they're plastic vs. metal.

Am i wrong about Delta B2310LF not having cartridges? And if not, why didn't they leave well enough alone?

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
That faucet still has cartridges under the handles, like every other Delta faucet. RP54801, to be exact.

Cartridges are great, as they give you the option to swap out a cheap part easily in order to fix leaks, instead of trying to find the exact size o-ring for a seal, or agonize over cleaning a big, integral part, hoping it's not too worn out under all the build-up.

And plastic cartridges vs metal don't seem to make much difference in my service experience. It's the rubber o-rings that wear out the quickest. Maybe you get scratches, or marred surfaces from hard water, but that's gonna happen regardless. And trying to smooth a brass seat (in an old three handle shower valve, for instance), is way more of a pain than swapping out the rubber seats and springs found on modern Delta faucets.

The plastic finishes, handles, pop-up assemblies, etc. That's what's garbage on a lot of the cheaper options, and foreign brands. People are buying em, though, and it gets harder for us plumbers to get customers or even contractors to stay away from that stuff the more prevalent it becomes. "Oh, but this one I found online is so much cheaper than what your showroom has." Well, great. We'll see ya in two years to change it out again. I suppose it does keep us busy. Lol

/end of rant

Minni

Reaction score
I see Dave, thanks! How often do cartridges / SUAs need changing? I just want a 2-handle kitch faucet that's issue free. Basic. Not fancy. Not expensive. No sprayer necessary, since i can attach a 360-swivel one. I don't remember ever needing to change cartridges with my previous 2 faucets. The first was a very old Delta acquired in the 1950s by parents, then Moen model 87421 about 10 years ago. Occasionally, i'd have to change washers (though the Moen was supposed to be washerless i think.

The latter would sometimes leak from the spout but it would not leak into the base-cabinet, as i've experienced with two Peerless faucets in succession last week. I'm SO sorry i discarded the 87421, or by now i'd have told the plumber "i changed my mind. Re-install it"

The 1st Peerless [tunbridge] leaked into the base cabinet from a white-plastic thingie at underside of the Spout.
...The 2nd Peerless [tunbridge] faucet leaked into the base cabinet from the hot-water lever.

I'm at my wits end, because i'm still without a faucet (not knowing which to get, due to lack of clear info as to which faucet won't cause me these nightmarish drip-drips inside my base cabinet! I don't want mold or waterbugs! I can't even cry (the way i feel like doing) because my health is breaking down due to lack of a faucet all these days, and crying will make it worse. I feel so helpless because there's no place to turn for help, as everyone is clueless. To be frank, i came here first, but it was dragging out. Someone here mentioned Gerber, but my plumber said that's worse than Delta. So then i signed onto a different plumbing forum, where i also went in circles. Then i posted on yet a 3rd forum. ALL for the same issue, because i'm desperate to get a faucet which won't leak into cabinet and cause me mold!

Last edited:

Minni

Reaction score
ahh.. never mind, i decided to make my own decision, because the waiting is killing me.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think you asked for faucet recommendations. Your first query was a rhetorical question about cartridges.

But which faucet did you decide on which will last a long time but not be too expensive for fancy? The suspense is killing me.

Minni

Reaction score
I'm still in the process.

See, i was going to have the plumber order the above Delta via the local supply house (from which those two peerless fiasco's came), but they didn't want to bother ordering just one, because they said its not a popular item. And so i found myself scrambling again, during which i came across a Moen prospect.

So i'd appreciate if you could answer my questions pertaining to the Moen prospect vs the Delta.
I'll open a new thread for that, with a new subject-title.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks