What was in my water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pascal666

Reaction score
I just moved. My new water heater is dated 9/4/02. The anode was completely gone and the plastic drain valve was clogged. I replaced both and found lots of what looks like frosted flakes at the bottom of the tank. Is the stuff in the below photos normal buildup over 16 years or is this the remnants of the glass lining? I've gotten less than half out at this point.

IMG_20190308_123602.jpg
IMG_20190308_123607.jpg
IMG_20190308_123612.jpg
IMG_20190308_123632.jpg
IMG_20190308_123637.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Agree. You could probably benefit from a softener-- not for WH reasons (that's just a bonus), but the soft water is nice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a chunk, place it in a glass bowl. Pour some vinegar over it so that it's submerged in the vinegar. Let soak for 24-hours. Look at it. IF the solids are either gone, or diminished it is being dissolved by the acid in the vinegar and almost certainly calcium based. Heating the water creates deposits on the inside of your WH unless the water is soft, similar to what happens in your teakettle.

SOmetimes, you can flush some of it out, but it depends on how bad and how much is there...it might become too big of a lump to get out.

Typically, the lining doesn't crack off...it gets pinhole leaks and then rusting starts on the tank. If you get rusty water out, your tank's life is almost up. A good anode can help slow the process. Excessive mineral deposits can create some hot spots that shorten the life somewhat. It also slows the response time to reheating the water and in the extreme case, limit how much hot water is available since so much of the tank gets full of those deposits.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just moved. My new water heater is dated 9/4/02. The anode was completely gone and the plastic drain valve was clogged. I replaced both and found lots of what looks like frosted flakes at the bottom of the tank. Is the stuff in the below photos normal buildup over 16 years or is this the remnants of the glass lining? I've gotten less than half out at this point.

View attachment 52168 View attachment 52169 View attachment 52170 View attachment 52171 View attachment 52172

Watch video of CUTTING WATER HEATERS IN HALF. Pretty interesting how much crap accumulates.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks