What to use to protect wall from torch flame?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm searching online for some kind of barrier or something that I can put between the copper pipe I'm sweating and the wall so that I don't leave burn marks on the wall. Does anyone know of something that I can use, and preferaby that I can buy online?

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use a #10 can with both ends removed and then split open. It's primitive, but it does work.

Robfitter

Reaction score
Hillbilly burn blanket

I've used an old cookie sheet, but don't tell your wife it was my idea. I'm the cook at my house, and if somebody used one of my sheet pans for that, I'd be a little grumpy. However, I'm also the plumber, so I talked myself out of getting bent out of shape about it... :rolleyes:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When you say sheet do you mean hard or cloth like?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
No, like 4' x 8' panels that could have been used to fireproof an equiptment room or sometimes was used on an attached garage to make the wall against the house fireproof.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes. thoes are used a lot for fire protection from wood burning stoves when the distance to a combustable surface is less that Mfg. Specs or required by code.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Home Depot/Lowe's has black woven burnproof cloth for this purpose. Mine has 2 brass grommets so you can hang it from a nail if desired. The cloth is maybe 8" x 10" in size, cost a couple of bucks. It works.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I got a spare piece of kevlar from my friend who makes costumes for a stuntman who sets himself on fire ten times a week. Won't burn and only charrs after a while with a MAPP torch...

Woven kevlar will work, so just ask your neighborhood stuntman for a spare piece.

What do you expect, I used to live in Vegas... ;-)

Or you can go get the cloth from HD...

Jwray

Reaction score
Heat protection when sweating copper fittings

The #10 can with both ends cut out and flattened is my my favorite. Remember to leave a little air space between the 2 layers, that is the key.

My burn blanket burned through pretty easily, but I think it was an older fiberglass variety.

In a pinch where I could not bend the can into place and the blanket was too floopy I have used heavy duty aluminum foil folded into about 8 layers and pressed into place. Be quick with the heat if you use this method as it does pass more heat and the wood structural members can get a little charred behind the foil. If you are quick it does prevent damage that would matter and keep it from catching on fire.

One final tip for extra piece of mind especially close to things like PVC DWV is to use several layers of wet denim behind your heat shield. If you start to get a lot of steam you are getting things too hot. If you are directing the heat well you should not get any steam.

I'm finishing up a complete replumb/expansion of a kitchen, 2 1/2 baths, and laundry room house and all of these have served me well. Nothing meleted and I didn't burn down the house. :)

Good Luck and keep the fire extinguisher close (especially if the water is turned off) just in case!

Joel

Prashster

Reaction score
novice perspective

Personally, I wouldn't use aluminum foil of any gauge. I tested it with an open flame and I got it to burn through fairly easily.

I have one of those fire retardant cloths, but they're so small, if you're going to have to work at any kind of angle, I believe it's a risk for anyone but an experienced plumber (which I'm not).

The thing that worked best for me was a large piece of sheet metal. It's 'bendable' enough to go around stuff, firm enough to stay in place, and thin enough to fit behind the likely tight spot between yr pipe and wall.

The sheet will transmit some heat, so you should really put a damp cloth behind it to fully protect yr wall.

This may seem like overkill to plumbers, but for a diy-er like myself with less torch handling skills and insurance than a plumber, I'd opt for more protection than less.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks