What is the Best Water Softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorldPeace

Reaction score
I looked this question up on this forum but surprisingly, I didn't find anything. There are a lot of articles online but it's hard to tell which is paid websites. I'm wondering what is the opinion here.

Can people tell me what they consider the best water softener to install?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I looked this question up on this forum but surprisingly, I didn't find anything. There are a lot of articles online but it's hard to tell which is paid websites. I'm wondering what is the opinion here.

Can people tell me what they consider the best water softener to install?

Thanks.
You will install it. Fleck allows dealers to ship you systems and parts.

For 3/4 inch plumbing, Fleck 5600SXT is good IMO. For 1 inch Fleck 5810SXT is good. There are other good ones.

WorldPeace

Reaction score
Reach,

Thanks for your response. I've seen this this. It's one of the most popular salt systems. Is there any validity to the claim that salt isn't necessary? There are few non-salt systems. Do they work or is a salt system necessary for an entire home?

There are so many systems and it's hard to figure out which ones are good. I've looked at Amazon reviews but I don't trust them anymore because the system is now broken. There are just too many paid reviews. A few years ago, a study came out that stated 15% were paid. However, I think the percentage is a lot more now.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there any validity to the claim that salt isn't necessary?
Not in my opinion. Not if you want economically softened water. A whole house RO system without a softener could give soft water at great expense.

Treeman

Reaction score
I will give a go at this from the perspective of a softener layperson, sometimes proficient handy person. I sized and installed a quality softener about 3 years ago after spending months here educating myself. These are strictly my subjective opinions.

- I have the impression that name brands like Culligan and Kinetico tend to be over priced and may contain proprietary parts that will further cost you more money if maintenance is needed.

- To me, it seems that cabinet models are less desirable than the two tank system (resin tank/brine tank). Who wants the valve controls inside the brine tank with the salt fumes and humidity? Pros, am I wrong?

- Box store units often seem to be dumbed down versions. I recently looked at a Pentairre model sold at Blaines Farm & Fleet and it had a dumbed down Autotrol valve and only 0.8 cu. ft. of resin.

- Excellent units are made up of somewhat generic components: controller/valve, tanks, resin, etc.. The pros here ascertain that internet models might have cheaper tanks and components compared to models purchased at a professional jobber supply house.

- The 3 U.S. made quality valves are Fleck, Clack, and Autotrol. These are component brands, not softener brands. Unfortunately, I "think" it is now difficult for consumers to buy softeners with these valves - they need to be sourced through a professional plumbing supply (Need verification of this).

Best brand? I believe you need to rethink this. Shop for a softener with best components. It likely will not have a brand name that you recognize. I.E., my local jobber sells Charger brand softeners that you can buy with either Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol valves. I don't have knowledge of their other component quality, but my first one lasted 18 years and I'm now 3 years trouble free on my second one.

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score

For 3/4 inch plumbing, Fleck 5600SXT is good IMO. For 1 inch Fleck 5810SXT is good. There are other good ones.
it's subjective. there really isn't a "best". fleck are good, so are clack, master water makes good units as well. there are many factors which determine what model (among the manufacturers) best suits your requirements. Other factors to consider are ease of repair and whether or not you want to install yourself or pay a dealer to install, as some models are only available through a dealer.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will give a go at this from the perspective of a softener layperson, sometimes proficient handy person. I sized and installed a quality softener about 3 years ago after spending months here educating myself. These are strictly my subjective opinions.

- I have the impression that name brands like Culligan and Kinetico tend to be over priced and may contain proprietary parts that will further cost you more money if maintenance is needed.

- To me, it seems that cabinet models are less desirable than the two tank system (resin tank/brine tank). Who wants the valve controls inside the brine tank with the salt fumes and humidity? Pros, am I wrong?

- Box store units often seem to be dumbed down versions. I recently looked at a Pentairre model sold at Blaines Farm & Fleet and it had a dumbed down Autotrol valve and only 0.8 cu. ft. of resin.

- Excellent units are made up of somewhat generic components: controller/valve, tanks, resin, etc.. The pros here ascertain that internet models might have cheaper tanks and components compared to models purchased at a professional jobber supply house.

- The 3 U.S. made quality valves are Fleck, Clack, and Autotrol. These are component brands, not softener brands. Unfortunately, I "think" it is now difficult for consumers to buy softeners with these valves - they need to be sourced through a professional plumbing supply (Need verification of this).

Best brand? I believe you need to rethink this. Shop for a softener with best components. It likely will not have a brand name that you recognize. I.E., my local jobber sells Charger brand softeners that you can buy with either Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol valves. I don't have knowledge of their other component quality, but my first one lasted 18 years and I'm now on 3 years trouble free on my second one.
^This is accurate. a lot of the off-brands (although they may use good valves) often find cheaper component (such as tanks, resin, floats, risers, etc) to lower the overall cost of producing the unit. This then allows them to sell it as a discounted price. A good local treatment professional (that sells non-proprietary products), while sometimes slightly more costly, is often a better bet, as they have the knowledge and resources to provide the proper treatment method, as well as, to provide the best overall components

Bannerman

Reaction score
A good local treatment professional (that sells non-proprietary products), while sometimes slightly more costly, is often a better bet, as they have the knowledge and resources to provide the proper treatment method, as well as, to provide the best overall components
Many online dealers possess little knowedge or understanding about the equipment they sell as too many only process a customer's order on a check-off sheet which will be sent to a 3rd party assembler who will drop ship the assembled equipment directly to the customer. An online dealer will often actually never see the equipment they are selling.

When the customer experiences a problem, many online dealers will have no experience or understanding to diagnose or assist to correct an issue but will often refer their customer to Fleck or Clack to obtain assistance, even as the cause of the issue is usually not a Fleck or Clack issue but is due to a failure of a low quality component that was $2.00 cheaper than a better quality and more reliable version.

Because local dealers install and service the equipment they sell, they will be less likely to utilize low quality or less reliable components as failure of a cheap component will too often result in callbacks and warranty repairs they may be unlikely to be paid to perform.

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many online dealers possess little knowedge or understanding about the equipment they sell as too many only process a customer's order on a check-off sheet which will be sent to a 3rd party assembler who will drop ship the assembled equipment directly to the customer. An online dealer will often actually never see the equipment they are selling.

When the customer experiences a problem, many online dealers will have no experience or understanding to diagnose or assist to correct an issue but will often refer their customer to Fleck or Clack to obtain assistance, even as the cause of the issue is usually not a Fleck or Clack issue but is due to a failure of a low quality component that was $2.00 cheaper than a better quality and more reliable version.

Because local dealers install and service the equipment they sell, they will be less likely to utilize low quality or less reliable components as failure of a cheap component will too often result in callbacks and warranty repairs they may be unlikely to be paid to perform.
Very accurate assessment.

blogger.mark09

Reaction score

Based on the discussion, it seems like there are a few key factors to consider when choosing a quality water softener:​

Water Softening Capabilities:​

• Aim for systems that can prevent at least 90% of new scale formation and remove existing scale.
  • Salt-based softeners are best for very hard water with iron, as they remove hardness minerals.
  • Salt-free conditioners can still reduce scale but don't eliminate all hard water issues.

Iron Removal:​

• Most salt-based softeners can remove up to 3 PPM of iron.
  • For higher iron levels, use a separate iron removal filter before the softener.

Pre-Filtration:​

• Use a sediment pre-filter to protect the resin from sediment in well water.
  • Additional pre-filters may be needed for acidic water, iron, manganese, or sulfur.

Price:​

• Traditional salt-based softeners cost $1300-$2500, plus $50-$400 annually for salt.
  • Salt-free conditioners are cheaper to maintain but less effective.

Testing & Certifications:​

• Look for NSF/ANSI 44 certification for proven performance in salt-based softeners.

Sizing:​

• Capacity (24,000-32,000 grains) and flow rate (12-15 GPM) must match household needs.

Installation:​

• Check dimensions and consider professional installation.

Maintenance:​

• Salt-based systems require salt top-ups every 4-6 weeks.
  • Salt-free options are low or no maintenance.

Warranty & Returns:​

• Look for at least a 1-year warranty, ideally lifetime on some components.
  • Some offer money-back guarantees for a trial period.

From my first-hand experience, I've had good luck with the Springwell water softener system. The Springwell system has a two-tank design with separate resin and brine tanks, avoiding the less desirable cabinet/all-in-one models.

From personal testing, the Springwell softener removed over 97% of hardness-causing minerals like calcium and magnesium from my well water. It also eliminated around 3 PPM of iron, which is a common issue for well owners. The system uses a durable 10% cross-link resin, which is higher quality than the 8% resin found in many other softeners.

Currently I have been using their Combo version : https://www.springwellwater.com/product/well-water/well-water-filter-and-salt-based-water-softener/

While the Springwell is less of a household brand name, that allows them to provide solid components like the Fleck valve at a more reasonable price point compared to bigger names like Culligan or Kinetico. Their customer support has been helpful when I've had questions as well.

Ultimately, doing your research on the specific valve and component quality is more important than just going by brand recognition. The Springwell has worked well for my needs so far as a solid mid-range option that ticks a lot of the recommended boxes for a quality water softener system.

Last edited:

kk0710

Reaction score

Why does plumbing size matter for which controller you pick?

Reach4

Reaction score
Fleck 5600SXT is only good for about 7 gpm or so. That is enough for most houses, but not for filling two tubs simultaneously.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks