Well design mistake: is it recoverable?

Users who are viewing this thread

RMAR10

Reaction score
I have a well with an existing submersible pump that I overhauled everything topside about a year ago. Not sure how deep it is, would guess 60 to 100 feet. New tank, piping topside, pressure switch and coarse filter. I used the old control box that is just a start cap, run cap, relay and thermal protector reset switch. 220V but don't know how big the pump is. I use it to water my yard and garden. It is probably 20+ years old and wasn't being used when I bought my place. I have co-op water for the house. Anyway it has always been cloudy red and some dark red mud in the coarse filter. I have another filter in my garage but the filter always gets very dirty almost immediately after changing it. So I have always kept the coarse filter cleaned out on a regular basis. Except about a month ago I got careless and didn't check the coarse filter, then the water stopped... Checked the filter and it was clogged solid with the red mud. Cleaned it out, but then the water would still not pump. When I hit the rest switch it sounds like it is humming but then it trips after about 2 seconds. I then evaluated things and realized I had made a major design error, in that I put the course filter between the well head and the pressure switch, instead of after the pressure switch. So my question is, would a pump be able to handle this or is it fried? I have tried replacing both caps and the relay, still nothing but have a reset switch to try replacing next.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most likely the pump is toast. They won't run against a totally clogged filter for more than 5-10 minutes before they melt down. With an ohm meter you could see if there is a short down the well. With correct voltage and a new control box added there isn't much left to do but pull the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There should be no continuity between ground and any of the hot wires. With a three wire motor ohming between the red, yellow, and black should give three numbers where the two lowest numbers add up to the highest number like 1, 4, and 5, or 3, 4, and 7.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks