Well treatment order of operations

Users who are viewing this thread

Anonuser12345

Reaction score
Currently have a well system that has: 50 Gallon pressure tank 40-50 PSI -> sediment filter -> carbon filter -> neutralizer tank -> softener tank -> UV -> well booster pump 70 PSI.

I have heard that the booster pump being after the neutralizer and softener could cause the booster pump to create a vacuum on those tanks.

I was instructed by a pro that I should reorganize this and add a well reservoir tank.

I was thinking of going: 50 gallon pressure tank 40-50 PSI -> neutralizer tank -> softener tank -> 300-450 gallon reservoir tank -> well booster pump 70 PSI -> carbon filter -> UV

Any thoughts or considerations for this design?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Why is a booster pump being utilized?

Depending on the distance the water in the well is below the surface, and which well pump is utilized, the well pump's pressure switch settings may likely be adjusted to operate in a 50-70 psi pressure range, directly from the well.

To obtain consistant pressure and eliminate pump cycling, consider adding a Cycle Stop Valve to your existing well pump system. For a 50-70 psi pressure range, the CSV maybe calibrated to supply 60 psi constant while the pump is in operation. If your existing 50-gallon pressure tank continues to function properly, the CSV pressure could be adjusted to supply up to ~65 psi constant.

If your pump is capable of 60/80 psi, then the CSV could supply 70 psi constant.

To view how a CSV functions, see the Interactive Demo at the link below.
Interactive Animation

For the greatest benefit, consider replacing your existing pressure tank and pressure switch with the PK1A Pside-Kick kit which includes a CSV, new 4 or 10 gallon pressure tank, new pressure switch, pressure relief valve, and wall mount bracket.

PK1A Pside-Kick Kit

Last edited:

Anonuser12345

Reaction score
Why is a booster pump being utilized?

Depending on the distance the water in the well is below the surface, and which well pump is utilized, the well pump's pressure switch settings may likely be adjusted to operate in a 50-70 psi pressure range, directly from the well.

To obtain consistant pressure and eliminate pump cycling, consider adding a Cycle Stop Valve to your existing well pump system. For a 50-70 psi pressure range, the CSV maybe calibrated to supply 60 psi constant while the pump is in operation. If your existing 50-gallon pressure tank continues to function properly, the CSV pressure could be adjusted to supply up to ~65 psi constant.

If your pump is capable of 60/80 psi, then the CSV could supply 70 psi constant.

To view how a CSV functions, see the Interactive Demo at the link below.
Interactive Animation

For the greatest benefit, consider replacing your existing pressure tank and pressure switch with the PK1A Pside-Kick kit which includes a CSV, new 4 or 10 gallon pressure tank, new pressure switch, pressure relief valve, and wall mount bracket.

PK1A Pside-Kick Kit

Wow that’s an interesting system. My current setup says that the pump supplies 6 gpm and that the well is relatively shallow 130 feet or so. I don’t know much more than that. Also the current pressure switch was actually set to 30-50 psi.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Been out working while Bannerman is doing my job for me. Thanks!

If there is a control box for the well pump it will say what horsepower. If not, just tighten the big screw in the pressure switch down so the pump comes on about 55 and off at 75. If it can build to 75 and shut off, you don't need a booster pump, just a Cycle Stop Valve. If it won't build to 75 or so, don't let the pump keep running, just shut the pump off and reset the switch down again.

Anonuser12345

Reaction score
Been out working while Bannerman is doing my job for me. Thanks!

If there is a control box for the well pump it will say what horsepower. If not, just tighten the big screw in the pressure switch down so the pump comes on about 55 and off at 75. If it can build to 75 and shut off, you don't need a booster pump, just a Cycle Stop Valve. If it won't build to 75 or so, don't let the pump keep running, just shut the pump off and reset the switch down again.
Do I have to adjust the air bladder before or after trying your experiment?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks