Water line sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

HBM

Reaction score
I just had a 5 bed/bathroom two story plus basement home built and have a question about my water line size. Originally they installed a 1 inch poly line which was damaged.....after the fact I realized they replaced it with a 3/4 in line (and of course my builder/excavator both assured me it was fine) PSI at the main is around 120. Distance from the main to meter is 35 feet and distance to the house from the meter is 150 feet (house is downhill about 10 feet in elevation). 2 feet after entering the home it converts to a 1 inch regulating valve with 1 inch PEX trunks for about 10 feet In the basement ceiling which then goes to 3/4 inch another 30 feet in each direction. I have the PRV set at 70 psi in the basement.

I notice pressure issues mainly if 3 showers are running at the same time or 3 hose bibs are running sprinklers. (This doesn't happen much but my wife has mentioned pressure fluctuations while showering).

One or two showers at a time are fine which is why I don't think it would be worth digging my yard up at this point.

Is there anything I can so inside the house to improve this problem? Extend the trunk lines to 1 inch? Extend 1 inch lines all the way to the water heater?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Your have volume issues for sure. Hopefully you have anti scald type shower body's

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ipc_water_size_50.jpg

Your home is about 43 fixture units.
I normally would have used a 1-1/2" poly or PVC line for that amount of volume needed and the the distance. PEX would be 1-1/2".

Maybe adding a good sized expansion tank would help at this point.

Just an example. My parents place was 250 feet from the meter to the house. The irrigation system I installed wouldn't work with the original 3/4" from the street meter. By changing the line to 1.5" PVC, the irrigation system worked fine. The heads that wouldn't pop up were now spraying a good amount of water in each zone. Same meter, different sizing on the line.

3/4" would be too small for a one bath home and you have five?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you had pressure gauges before and after the PRV, that could be useful in seeing where the pressure drop is occurring.

A bigger PRV could be called for. A bigger service line could be called for.

HBM

Reaction score
I can adjust the PRV to get a PSI up to 90-100ish. It is a 1 inch Zurn 1-600XL

Where would the expansion tank go? After the PRV, before the water softener? Any link to them?

Thank you guys for the reply

HBM

Reaction score
Fullysprinklered,

Sounds like a good idea to maximize the 120 psi from the main. Do you think doing the split to hot and cold would be better for all the showers?

HBM

Reaction score
Also I'm not sure my water softener would handle 120 psi which may pose a problem

Code only allows 80 PSI

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most codes only allow up to 80 PSI.

So the builder never pulled any permits for this job. You're kind of getting screwed on this. Too bad. The cost difference to have done it right was very little. Now you're screwed.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe have a regulator (PRV) for the softener, another for all other indoor use, and no regulator for the outdoors. If you do any plumbing changes add provisions for pressure gauges to know what is going on. A boiler drain valve is useful for water sampling and for mounting a GHT pressure gauge.

I am not a pro.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Was the incoming water line downsized with your permission? (No.) Since the answer is no, perhaps it is time to have a talk with the builder and have them fix their "mistake". If they're reluctant to do so a chat with your local Authority Having Jurisdiction might help, given the replacement is not sized properly.

This mistake will likely nag you the entire time you spend in your new house.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Was the incoming water line downsized with your permission? (No.) Since the answer is no, perhaps it is time to have a talk with the builder and have them fix their "mistake". If they're reluctant to do so a chat with your local Authority Having Jurisdiction might help, given the replacement is not sized properly.

This mistake will likely nag you the entire time you spend in your new house.
Yea, that's what I would do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks