Water Heater Mystery 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
nly the water heater is hooked up to gas. This is not a propane heater (No offense taken) The warranty is now going to replace the whole new tank. I doubt that it will work. Should I call the power company to check pressure again? Really appreciate the input. I have a few really good plumbers that are stumped .
There is no indication that your pressure is not right. People were thinking along those pressure lines because you said that the support people told you there was a regulator problem. "Regulator" for a gas water heater is usually to describe a pressure regulator.

Tim3131

Reaction score
There is no indication that your pressure is not right. People were thinking along those pressure lines because you said that the support people told you there was a regulator problem. "Regulator" for a gas water heater is usually to describe a pressure regulator.
Okay thanks for that.

Tim3131

Reaction score
How about this theory:
The gas pressure is too high and its pushing the gas through the gas control Valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
How about this theory:
The gas pressure is too high and its pushing the gas through the gas control Valve?
I won't buy it. You even had your pressure checked.

That's a Honeywell control, right?

Greenmountain

Reaction score
well, what are the options?

either a string of defective equipment,
or a pressure problem, or?

Agree seems unlikely so many new units would be defective, but not impossible.
The pressure can be easily checked by installing one or more gauges.

Or are you sure there aren't mistakes being made with the equipment settings?
Is there a tempering valve?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Rheem 29 gallon
Model XG2906EN30U1

You missed letter (T) in your model number: MODEL # XG29T06EN30U1 on the SPEC sheet from Rheem web site.

The gas valve is named "GAS Control (Thermostat)" or "Thermostatic Gas Valve" as written in the manual. There are no external pressure regulators.

These are Honeywells units and it is all self contained. It is such a simple setup that the valve is not closing when needed via an internal thermocouple device. If the pressure is too high and does damage, then the flame would never shut down and the T&P valve (150PSI/210*F) would be blowing out. This unit seems to have a status indicator determined by the number of flashes. Getting any indication? Does the flame ever shut down? I sure seems to be a series of bad defective units. I would get the gas valve part number and search it on the WEB.

Page 24:
https://www.rheem.com/product/perfo...er-with-6-year-limited-warranty-xg29t06en30u0

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...wBrCnZFdN4k_ouziHWhoCPaMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tim3131

Reaction score
I had the whole Heater replaced . Thats heater number 3 , and gas control thing number 5.
At first it worked. Then after a few days its back to 135 degrees out of the faucet on low, vacation , or even pilot .Or even between pilot and off. I had the gas pressure checked by sdge for the second time at the source and its normal. Should i call Rheem for replacement again? I have had 3 licensed plumbers come out , all stumped. They also called their best gurus of plumbing...stumped.

Tim3131

Reaction score
well, what are the options?

either a string of defective equipment,
or a pressure problem, or?

Agree seems unlikely so many new units would be defective, but not impossible.
The pressure can be easily checked by installing one or more gauges.

Or are you sure there aren't mistakes being made with the equipment settings?
Is there a tempering valve?
I will check . Whats a tempering Valve?

Tim3131

Reaction score
You missed letter (T) in your model number: MODEL # XG29T06EN30U1 on the SPEC sheet from Rheem web site.

The gas valve is named "GAS Control (Thermostat)" or "Thermostatic Gas Valve" as written in the manual. There are no external pressure regulators.

These are Honeywells units and it is all self contained. It is such a simple setup that the valve is not closing when needed via an internal thermocouple device. If the pressure is too high and does damage, then the flame would never shut down and the T&P valve (150PSI/210*F) would be blowing out. This unit seems to have a status indicator determined by the number of flashes. Getting any indication? Does the flame ever shut down? I sure seems to be a series of bad defective units. I would get the gas valve part number and search it on the WEB.

Page 24:
https://www.rheem.com/product/perfo...er-with-6-year-limited-warranty-xg29t06en30u0

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...wBrCnZFdN4k_ouziHWhoCPaMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks , The gas pressure was tested twice . Its normal

Fitter30

Reaction score
Tempering valve mixes cold with the hot. Did you contact rheem? If a plumbing company replaced the heaters why haven't you hold their feet to the fire and get a factory service person out.

Tim3131

Reaction score
Tempering valve mixes cold with the hot. Did you contact rheem? If a plumbing company replaced the heaters why haven't you hold their feet to the fire and get a factory service person out.
I may do that . It just seems like low odds that there were 5 bad regulators and 3 bad water heaters.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Are you using infrared thermometer measure the water temp ? Because I.T. can't read water correctly just the surface of a hard surface.

Last edited:

Tim3131

Reaction score
Are you using infrared thermometer measure the water temp ? Because I.T. can't read water correctly just the surface of a hard surface.
I brought three glass scientific thermometers from my class (I'm a science teacher ) . And an infrared. They all read the same. I also used my hand and can just feel its too hot.

Tim3131

Reaction score
I called another big name plumbing company in my area. They sent their top guy. He doesn't know what it is. I asked if they would install another tank and guarantee it would work right . They said no. That's a lot of smart people that cant figure this out. Could it be the pilot light is over heating the tank? Since nobody is really living there the tank sits unused . It goes up in temp about 5 Degrees day.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I called another big name plumbing company in my area. They sent their top guy. He doesn't know what it is. I asked if they would install another tank and guarantee it would work right . They said no. That's a lot of smart people that cant figure this out. Could it be the pilot light is over heating the tank? Since nobody is really living there the tank sits unused . It goes up in temp about 5 Degrees day.
you put 3 water heaters in I wouldn't be coming out there either for what if I get lucky I get paid all those "smart People" kinda selfish but at this point what's a plumber stand to gain. I've never experienced a good water heater having a pilot over heating it . Bad heater gas control valve, or wrong one any idea if both the brad /white and rheem use identical valve. does the main burner turn off? does main burner turn back on while in vacation mode? what's unusual about this job ? Its in San Marcos ? sdge? its in the garage like 95 percent of so ca homes? what's different? is it cooped up in some weird spot ? if its nothing unusual then its a bad heater or parts doesn't matter replace heater. its totally bizarre a bad batch of parts I think fitter 30 may have been eluding to that a new heater built cross country likely have a different batch of controls then what's sold here , so unless thousands of bad valves are out there its unlikely that they are all with same defect , though he didn't say that I sensed it and was a thought I had. as for when I'm working though unless someone wants to pay full price I don't want to come out and talk about it maybe the factory will.

Tim3131

Reaction score
you put 3 water heaters in I wouldn't be coming out there either for what if I get lucky I get paid all those "smart People" kinda selfish but at this point what's a plumber stand to gain. I've never experienced a good water heater having a pilot over heating it . Bad heater gas control valve, or wrong one any idea if both the brad /white and rheem use identical valve. does the main burner turn off? does main burner turn back on while in vacation mode? what's unusual about this job ? Its in San Marcos ? sdge? its in the garage like 95 percent of so ca homes? what's different? is it cooped up in some weird spot ? if its nothing unusual then its a bad heater or parts doesn't matter replace heater. its totally bizarre a bad batch of parts I think fitter 30 may have been eluding to that a new heater built cross country likely have a different batch of controls then what's sold here , so unless thousands of bad valves are out there its unlikely that they are all with same defect , though he didn't say that I sensed it and was a thought I had. as for when I'm working though unless someone wants to pay full price I don't want to come out and talk about it maybe the factory will.
Thanks for reply: Its in a weird place on the side of the house in a little water heater building. The big name expert suggested that we go tankless. I still find it strange that I'm the only person that has ever had this problem . And that this many experts are stumped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks