Water Heater Mystery 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim3131

Reaction score
1. Bought house water heater gives scalding water turned all the way down
2. Replaced Gas regulator , same problem
3. Bought new Water heater same problem.
4. Called warranty they replaced regulator , same problem
5. They replaced regulator again , kinda worked. (Turned all the way down just a little too hot)
6. Clue : warranty guy says he has seen it before and they replace up to 5 gas regulators . Sometimes it fixes it.
Then they replace Whole tank . He says that they eventually always work.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Notify them a child was scalded on their hand THEN SEE HOW FAST they respond

Possibly they used the same Aqua stat

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I changed out a water heater the other day and the tempering valve was full of sediment. It did not get reinstalled.
They were running their thermostat at 120 anyway.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I changed out a water heater the other day and the tempering valve was full of sediment. It did not get reinstalled.
They were running their thermostat at 120 anyway.

Terry, the problem with trusting the aqua stat is stacking as the hottest water temperature is at the top and the 120 SET is actually not going to give an accurate reading

Tempering
valves are not considered anti scald devices and having water in a tank lower then 140 will not kill bacteria

This is why lawsuits are amazing money makers as either way the lawyers win along with expert witnesses.

Water too hot and someone gets scalded easy to win case.

Water too cold and people get sick from bacteria and again easy case to win.

No matter what we do its wrong unless we install a anti scald device at all the fixtures and leave appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines have the highest temperature to kill the bacteria which is not "cost effective" then we are called thief's

Fitter30

Reaction score
It would surprise me the original factory installed control would have a date code anywhere close to the replacement control. And with different new heaters very strange like to see a factory rep look at the system.

Tim3131

Reaction score
So are you (Fitter 30) thinking the replacement Gas regulator may not be a match for the heater?
It seems really weird to me that to heaters and 4 regulators have the same problem. Your theory is interesting.

Tim3131

Reaction score
It seems strange that two heaters and 4 regulators could be bad.
I've asked many plumbers , and they don't know. Some think its an external problem (Not the heater)
To me it seems like I has to be the heater or regulator

Greenmountain

Reaction score
do you have pressure gauges on your gas supply?
just guessing here but if you're getting water that's too hot from multiple water heaters
maybe your gas supply pressure is too high?
maybe supply pressure is too high for rated inlet pressure of regulator(s)?

Tim3131

Reaction score
do you have pressure gauges on your gas supply?
just guessing here but if you're getting water that's too hot from multiple water heaters
maybe your gas supply pressure is too high?
maybe supply pressure is too high for rated inlet pressure of regulator(s)?
I had SDGE come and check it and the said gas pressure was okay. I had that same thought.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect that the thing he is calling the regulator is the Gas Control Valve.

That would be the thing that the thermocouple or thermopile is connected to.

Did the replacement units come with a new temperature sensor?

Tim3131

Reaction score
I expect that the thing he is calling the regulator is the Gas Control Valve.

That would be the thing that the thermocouple or thermopile is connected to.

Did the replacement units come with a new temperature sensor?
yes

Greenmountain

Reaction score
"5. They replaced regulator again , kinda worked. (Turned all the way down just a little too hot)"

Since this is the only thing that seems to have made any difference, it suggests you have a gas pressure problem.

I had SDGE come and check it and the said gas pressure was okay. I had that same thought.

"okay" does not necessarily imply that pressure is within application specs of whatever equipment you are using.
I'd suggest double checking or installing new pressure gauges on both sides of any pressure regulating devices or equipment you are using.
Do you have any other appliances hooked up to the gas line supplying the water heater?

Also, don't be offended, but you're not running a nat gas appliance on propane right?

Tim3131

Reaction score
"5. They replaced regulator again , kinda worked. (Turned all the way down just a little too hot)"

Since this is the only thing that seems to have made any difference, it suggests you have a gas pressure problem.

"okay" does not necessarily imply that pressure is within application specs of whatever equipment you are using.
I'd suggest double checking or installing new pressure gauges on both sides of any pressure regulating devices or equipment you are using.
Do you have any other appliances hooked up to the gas line supplying the water heater?

Also, don't be offended, but you're not running a nat gas appliance on propane right?
Only the water heater is hooked up to gas. This is not a propane heater (No offense taken) The warranty is now going to replace the whole new tank. I doubt that it will work. Should I call the power company to check pressure again? Really appreciate the input. I have a few really good plumbers that are stumped .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks