Hydronic kickspace heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylorjm

Reaction score
So we are going to be remodeling the kitchen and we have to remove about 15' of slant fin baseboard. I'm going to replace it with a hydronic kickspace heaters. I have two of them, one will put out about 3500btu and the other about 6000btu. Because of the new kitchen layout 2 would fit better. They have 2 fan speeds so I can use them at half the btu if necessary.

They question is, I've been reading a couple ways to install them. We have 3/4" copper lines, the heaters use 1/2" copper, so some people, and the instructions, say to use monoflow or scoop tees, but some other old timer plumbers say use regular tees and put a ball valve between the two tees so you can regulate how much water flows through the heaters, and thus control the amount of heat. As long as there's enough water for the heater to reach 105 degrees (using 180 degree water) the heater will kick on.

Any suggestions which way to go? I've heard the monoflow tees can be fussy and the balancing valve and regular tees may be better. That's the way I'm leaning.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Don't like mixing piping systems. Especially if your thinking about monoflow tees why not just use what the fin tube was using. Might want to consider putting the heaters on zone valves and thermostats. Have u considered how warm the cabinets will get above the heaters. Do u need 180° water? Ever think about hot water reset that.varies water temp by outdoor temperature.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Don't like mixing piping systems. Especially if your thinking about monoflow tees why not just use what the fin tube was using. Might want to consider putting the heaters on zone valves and thermostats. Have u considered how warm the cabinets will get above the heaters. Do u need 180° water? Ever think about hot water reset that.varies water temp by outdoor
I don’t think I follow you. The fin tubes use 3/4”. The kickspace heaters are 1/2”. I can’t just pipe in the kickspace heaters. I need the 180 deg water because this is a very large main floor zone and in northern Michigan it can get pretty cold. 180 is what they normally run at here. To put the kickspace heaters on a separate zone would be overkill and require a lot of repiping. Plus the kitchen will be open to the living and dining which are all slant fin. I just need to replace the one section of slant fin with kickspace.

Fitter30

Reaction score
1/2" copper flows 1/2 what 3/4" does. Pipe the the two kickspace heaters in parallel use globe valves for balance. In the bottom out the top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks