Water Heater Mystery 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for reply: Its in a weird place on the side of the house in a little water heater building. The big name expert suggested that we go tankless. I still find it strange that im the only person that has ever had this problem . And that this many experts are stumped.
I understand. there isn't that much to go wrong like tire a going flat you replace tires you replace rim and valve stem and the expert is stumped . put it in water and no bubbles? I too am stumped! I don't do many repairs personally and I don't think its worth my while to start but occasionally a good customer or family will replace a gas control valve and or burner assembly.
Assuming you have proper air intake high and low combustion air able to enter and the vent is free of obstructions bird nest or whatever, (and I don't know or believe these are your problem but they are important to proper operation) The tankless is expensive and they aren't any less maintenance than a tank heater. Gas line often needs pricey modification. But not always. It requires some observation of how far from meter and the pipe sizing . Normally I would guarantee changing water heater fixes problem but the way its been described it feels like guaranteed it won't fix it. But it makes no sense, Sorry no help but I would recommend you look at the things I mentioned above

Tim3131

Reaction score
I understand. there isn't that much to go wrong like tire a going flat you replace tires you replace rim and valve stem and the expert is stumped . put it in water and no bubbles? I too am stumped! I don't do many repairs personally and I don't think its worth my while to start but occasionally a good customer or family will replace a gas control valve and or burner assembly.
Assuming you have proper air intake high and low combustion air able to enter and the vent is free of obstructions bird nest or whatever, (and I don't know or believe these are your problem but they are important to proper operation) The tankless is expensive and they aren't any less maintenance than a tank heater. Gas line often needs pricey modification. But not always. It requires some observation of how far from meter and the pipe sizing . Normally I would guarantee changing water heater fixes problem but the way its been described it feels like guaranteed it won't fix it. But it makes no sense, Sorry no help but I would recommend you look at the things I mentioned above
Yes Like a tire. I'm not a plumber , But man I just don't get it. My current line of thinking is 1. Asking Rheem one more time (if they can go up the food chain) and think of a solution. 2. Returning it and going tankless with guarantee. I think can get a tankless installed for about $1400

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Does the water heater have a recirc line?
I ask, because I had an installation with a tempering valve and a recirc, and the temperature on the tank was getting too high.
I installed a Grunfos AquaStat which stopped the pump when the return line was warm. That prevented the continual movement through the tank and the temperature increase.

Note: my water heater install thermostat was set for high, thus the uptick in temperature when the recirc was constant and using the tempering valve.
A water heater set for vacation mode should not be increasing in temperature like that.

grundfos_aquastat.jpg

Grunfos 595443 for clipping on 5/8" OD pipe.

grundfos_aquastat_2.jpg

This picture was taken from another post.

grunfos_recirc_chart.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a bad heater even if its been 50 of them . cant think of scenario where a good working water heater would do this,
scalding water on vacation mode

Tim3131

Reaction score
Does the water heater have a recirc line?
I ask, because I had an installation with a tempering valve and a recirc, and the temperature on the tank was getting too high.
I installed a Grunfos AquaStat which stopped the pump when the return line was warm. That prevented the continual movement through the tank and the temperature increase.

Grunfos 595443 for clipping on 5/8" OD pipe.
Terry Thanks for your reply. Did your install have this same problem? I don't know if it has a recirc line. This is the heater.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...Gas-Tank-Water-Heater-XG29T06EC32U1/205811165

Tim3131

Reaction score
Actually looking at your diagram , I'm pretty sure there is no recirc line

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks