Waste drain way too high?

Users who are viewing this thread

JonathanB

Reaction score
Ok remeasured again and I was wrong. There is 0.75 inches between the very bottom of the waste, and A on your picture. Is there is 0.75 inches of space. So I guess that would mean, it can drain, but has resistance since it can't flow using more gravity and more pipe, hence why it kept filling up when the faucet was on and would take minutes to drain. But now I can't replicate the previous plumbing so I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Seems like I have to use every bit of space possible to use that small amount of drain available. If anyone has a solution I will just buy the parts and see how it goes. I'd rather have "super slow draining speed" vs no sink at all at this point.

Reach4

Reaction score
So something like this, but maybe the green tailpiece a little longer?
img_3.jpg

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
oAf13VX.jpg

Here is a picture of the waste drain and the bottom of the sink.

Drill a hole STRAIGHT DOWN into your crawlspace. Stub up with ALL NEW PIPE. Install a new cleanout (full port), a new trap adapter, and a studor vent. Cap the old stub-out and you can leave the vent through the roof.

JonathanB

Reaction score
Ok I think I've figured out the problem. I decided to hook it up as simple as possible using a P-Trap and then loosen the screw on the coupling that goes onto the waste pipe. I turned the faucet on and it won't drain, as usual, but I could see where it was leaking. Right at the coupling. This means the water is going through the P-Trap and up into the drain pipe, but I guess something is obstructing it from going through. Not sure what to think, since I tried putting water down it earlier and it worked. I guess maybe it needs to be snaked. That's the only reason I can think of why it would pass through and start leaking from the pressure at the drain. No where for the water to go I guess. At least on the positive note I know it's travelling up to the drain and trying to get through.

JonathanB

Reaction score
Good news. I fixed my problem for now. Only 0.5 inches of the drain is being used to drain water of the 2 inches available, so draining is subpar. I used a Husky Drain Bladder and immediately I could hear the crap being dislodged. Left it running for about 10 minutes and now it drains. I had to reverse the trap so the seal isn't that great to be honest. If it gets bumped hard it'll come loose. I'm going to attach a picture and if anyone can suggest a proper way to do it considering the high drain, that would be really appreciated. I used the dishwasher tailpipe horizontal because there didn't seem to be enough room to do it vertical, and the tailpipe coming out of the T was is attached firmly.

I was thinking, I can just cut it and add some nuts and washers and add the tail pipe there? But then I had the problem with it being "below" the drain and I think it's supposed to be above the drain, right? I don't know how that will be possible with that drain height at all. I assume no matter what I do it the pipes will sit with water in them. Any advice would help on better setup.

g5KlZBt.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A large portion of that pipe will remain full of water since the outlet in the wall is higher than the horizontal section. It should go straight out to the wall from the outlet of the p-trap, not back up again. Essentially, you've made a REALLY deep p-trap. Also, that corrugated section is going to likely collect crud.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks