Washer Drain Overflowing

Users who are viewing this thread

ArcticLeaf

General problems in all directions.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I’m at my wits end with my washer drain overflowing and would appreciate any advice.

I live in a 1970s mobile home, so it has 1-1/2” plumbing for the washer stack and drain.

In the fall of last year, I replaced my old washer with a new Speed Queen toploader. It worked fine with no overflow problems until spring.

Then I noticed a slight trickle sometimes. I read on this forum that if it was only a little water, replacing the standpipe with a larger diameter pipe might be enough, so I did that. And it seemed to help for awhile.

But eventually it started overflowing again, so I put drain cleaner down the standpipe with no improvement.

Called a plumber and was told it was simply because it’s a new washer with a faster output pump and old plumbing and the best solution was a laundry sink. Even though I told him the bathroom drains have been slow too. When asked for an explanation about why it worked fine for 6 months, I was told it was because of ground water making all of our drains slow.

We don’t really have room for a laundry sink, so I just put off dealing with it. Then a month ago our kitchen sink backed up out of the washer drain. They connect right next to each other on line that runs through the floor and then under the house.

I called someone to snake our drains. Bathroom drains vastly improved. Kitchen sink done at the clean out which is after where the washer connects. Sink is fine now, but the washer still overflows all its water. I asked him to do the washer drain, but I’m not certain he actually did. He was convinced it was somewhere further down and that it should be good now.

Tested it after he left, and it still overflows. I don’t know what else to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ll attach pictures when I’m able to crawl in the cabinet again.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try putting a Brasscraft medium drain bladder down the standpipe, and force water down. See if that improves things. Also keep an eye on your lowest drain while you are forcing water, perhaps a shower. If water backs up in the shower, you know the blockage is downstream of where the drain lines join.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The plumber is right about many modern washing machines...they do pump faster than the old ones, partly because they tend to spin faster to extract more water. This means you don't waste as much energy in the dryer. But, as a result, all new installs are calling for a 2" drain line. You might have a partial clog, but it may be it just wants that larger line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks