Wall Hung Toilet Replacement

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by KWS4116, Jul 19, 2021.

1. KWS4116

KWS4116 New Member

We have an older home from the 1960s, and one of the bathrooms has a wall mounted toiled. The model (Kohler) is super old, huge, heavy, and is slowly leaking at the wall. We need to replace it, and I'm curious whether you can swap a wall mount w/ exterior tank with a floor mounted rear outlet. I know NOTHING about plumbing, so I'm thoroughly confused. We remodeled the bathroom fully 2 years ago, but left that toilet because the one rear outlet floor standing I bought apparently wouldn't work, but the contractor could really explain why or what we should replace it with. So they put in a new wax ring to stop the leak, but it started almost right away.

Are we stuck with an exterior tank, wall mounted, or are there any other options? I've seen these close coupled toilets from Duravit, but don't really know what that means either.

Thanks!

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I install a lot of the Gerber Maxwell wall hung toilets. They've been working well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. JoBalz

JoBalz New Member

Terry, your info on a replacement toilet for a 1960 American Standard Norwall was well appreciated. The Gerber Maxwell Compact Elongated was a great fit in my tiny bathroom and turned out to be a quick and simple replacement. Really like it so far. Question, do you have any suggestions or recommendations for a good soft close toilet seat with grip-tight bumpers to prevent slipping around. I'm not crazy about the one the plumber included. Currently looking at the Kohler Brevia K-20110, the Cachet K-7671, and the Rutledge K-4734.

Gerber Compact Elongated Toilet.jpg

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  6. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

I have succesfully adapted a duravit floor mount rear discharge toilet to a wall mount drain outlet. It was very difficult to do. It requires cutting and modifying cast iron fittings, having the proper odd adapters, rerouting the water supply behind the toilet where you have no access to the connection and placing the shut off valve in a access panel. The duravit toilets drain discharges around 7" above the floor rather than the 4" of a typical floor mount rear discharge toilet. The process is not for the faint of heart and the uncreative.

Its much simpler to find out why the original toilet is leaking and replace it with a modern version as Terry shows above.