connecting a wall-hung toilet to waste riser

Users who are viewing this thread

personage

Reaction score
I have a back outlet, floor mount toilet, and I would like to install a wall-hung toilet instead. The waste riser is cast iron with 4" threaded opening, and my current toilet is connected to it with this ABS nipple: https://www.zoro.com/jay-r-smith-manufacturing-nipple-4-x-8-14-0100n08p/i/G0700126/

What would be the proper way to connect this 4" horizontal cast iron pipe to a vertical 3" waste pipe that comes with a TOTO in-wall tank unit like this: https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/SpecSheet/SS-01629_WT173MA.pdf

I'll be increasing the wall thickness to install the TOTO frame/tank unit, and basically looking for a way to make a 90 degree turn for this waste/vent connection.

Thank you for your help.

pic-1.jpg

personage

Reaction score
I have a follow up question from reading some related threads. Would moving the outlet hole up (e.g., by using a 90 to connect the elbow supplied with the carrier system to the existing waste pipe opening) be a no-no due the the existing vent connection being below the new flood-level rim? Or is that not an issue since the vent pipe is vertical and toilets don't require a vent in order to function properly?

drawing.png

personage

Reaction score
There is no way to do what you want without completely blowing out everything and starting underfloor from scratch.
Can you please explain why?

I understand that there is no space inside the existing wall, but I can build it out and frame a new section so that the carrier is sitting in front of the existing plumbing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would take a little reasearch but the outlet 90 would need to be modified or rebuilt to meet the existing and likely the height is too low. forcing you to offset from 4 1/4 to whatever height the new toto is

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The no hub adapter band that any wall hung frame system would use needs to be pretty much starting at the floor.
Your photo shows side drain on the left, not to mention two distinct pipes (vent and drain?) above. Nothing about what is there is suitable for a modern frame type toilet carrier.

personage

Reaction score
It would take a little reasearch but the outlet 90 would need to be modified or rebuilt to meet the existing and likely the height is too low. forcing you to offset from 4 1/4 to whatever height the new toto is
Thank you. The current drain is centered at 4 3/4 above the floor, and I would need the new one at about 9".

personage

Reaction score
The no hub adapter band that any wall hung frame system would use needs to be pretty much starting at the floor.
Your photo shows side drain on the left, not to mention two distinct pipes (vent and drain?) above. Nothing about what is there is suitable for a modern frame type toilet carrier.
Thank you. The side drain on the left is from the bathroom sink. Pipes going above are drain for the toilet upstairs and a vent. The drain stack continues below.

Is there a way to connect the 4" nipple to a 3x4 closet bend? Or would I need a different fitting to connect a closet bend to the existing cast iron?

3x4 DWV Closet Bend.png
4 inch abs nipple.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
possibly the outside of th
Thank you. The side drain on the left is from the bathroom sink. Pipes going above are drain for the toilet upstairs and a vent. The drain stack continues below.

Is there a way to connect the 4" nipple to a 3x4 closet bend? Or would I need a different fitting to connect a closet bend to the existing cast iron?

View attachment 96079View attachment 96080
the inside of your carrier nipple might match the OD of a 3 inch abs hub example would be a 3 inch 1/4 bend or 1/8th bend verify the id of the nipple this aint cookie cutter stuff but you might get get lucky with a solution especialy since you stated furring out wall no biggie . How far can you go 4 , 5 inches afoot? you are kinda wanting the impossible but like I implied get creative and maybe

personage

Reaction score
possibly the outside of th

the inside of your carrier nipple might match the OD of a 3 inch abs hub example would be a 3 inch 1/4 bend or 1/8th bend verify the id of the nipple this aint cookie cutter stuff but you might get get lucky with a solution especialy since you stated furring out wall no biggie . How far can you go 4 , 5 inches afoot? you are kinda wanting the impossible but like I implied get creative and maybe
Thank you, this sounds promising. I will order a new nipple and will measure it, as I could not find the specs online.

Here's a datasheet that has the part, but no ID sizing: https://www.etnasupply.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/Jay_R_Smith_76289-91-6_Data_Sheet.pdf

I can move the wall out 4 inches to match the wall by the bathtub.
bathroom.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
id just see how a hub fits inside the nipple you have rather than ordering a part even if it fits inside a nipple thats just part of it need to figure the rest out. I thought you might have more than 4 inches to play with

personage

Reaction score
id just see how a hub fits inside the nipple you have rather than ordering a part even if it fits inside a nipple thats just part of it need to figure the rest out. I thought you might have more than 4 inches to play with
Already ordered :)

I'd rather leave the existing toilet hooked up until we figure out whether doing a wall-mounted one is a viable option.

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
Already ordered :)

I'd rather leave the existing toilet hooked up until we figure out whether doing a wall-mounted one is a viable option.
You could also try a four bolt wall hung as a possible alternative. Josam, jay r smith, and zurn make residential four bolt carriers and since they usually hook up to the stack it may be easier to set up. Here is a link to one

Last edited:

personage

Reaction score
You could also try a four bolt wall hung as a possible alternative. Josam, jay r smith, and zurn make residential four bolt carriers and since they usually hook up to the stack it may be easier to set up. Here is a link to one

Thank you. Looks like these would allow me to mount a wall-mounted two piece toilet, but it is not clear that I would gain any space, as compared to my current floor mount. With the TOTO I looked at, the in-wall tank would make the toilet more compact overall, even if I move the wall out 4 inches, and I like the sleek modern look.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the current height of the center of the drain above the finished floor (AFF)?
What is the Ideal height of the center of the drain of the toilet / carrier combination you are planning to install?

In wall carriers have a lot of adjustment to the height of the toilet so you can play around with it.. taking into consideration that too low or too high may be uncomforatable, but just slightly higher than you would like may be ok or mitigated by changing the floor height with tile if your room layout allows.

A kit from Geberit like this may allow you to utilize your existing drain height with a simple adapter depending on the height difference.

If and when you do build a new wall to accommodate the carrier, that wall will need to be very stout and secured to the existing framing. The wall carrier and toilet create a LOT of leverage on the wall system.

personage

Reaction score
What is the current height of the center of the drain above the finished floor (AFF)?
What is the Ideal height of the center of the drain of the toilet / carrier combination you are planning to install?

In wall carriers have a lot of adjustment to the height of the toilet so you can play around with it.. taking into consideration that too low or too high may be uncomforatable, but just slightly higher than you would like may be ok or mitigated by changing the floor height with tile if your room layout allows.

A kit from Geberit like this may allow you to utilize your existing drain height with a simple adapter depending on the height difference.

If and when you do build a new wall to accommodate the carrier, that wall will need to be very stout and secured to the existing framing. The wall carrier and toilet create a LOT of leverage on the wall system.
Thank you. This sounds promising. Are there kits with more that 1" offset?

The current drain center is at 4 3/4" AFF. I'll be happy with 9" or more. Ideal height would be around 11" AFF.

The TOTO I am looking at has the drain center at 8 5/8" for 16"-high installation, which is the height of my current toilet. I would prefer to have it higher, say 19", which would place the drain center at 11 5/8" AFF.

The new wall will be anchored to concrete floor and ceiling, so the leverage of the hanging toilet should not be an issue.

TOTO.png

caszdanius

Reaction score
Following this thread as have similar challenge with waste center 4 1/2" AFFL and trying to do a floor or wall mount toilet recessed tank (eg: Geberit) to a 100 year condo building in Manhattan. Not enough depth so may need knee wall or connection to Geberit recessed wall system means raising the waste (which looks impossible).

Attachments

• 405-116-00-1-install.pdf
    415.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Existing Main (1).jpg
    Existing Main (1).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Existing Main (2).jpg
    Existing Main (2).jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 37
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks