Vent off shower drain trap arm

Users who are viewing this thread

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
upload_2020-8-6_17-16-13.jpeg

The attached is a photo of a proposed plumbing layout underneath a shower.

I’d like to pull a short run of horizontal vent off the pictured san tee, attaching a 90 directly on top of it and tying it into an existing vertical vent about a foot away. After the san tee, the drain line quickly drops below the weir, so this is why I’m needing to put the vent take off so close.

Any concerns with this set up?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not a fan of the vent fitting above the p-trap. Should be a medium 90 and not a vent 90.
Most codes require a wye or combo fitting if you pulling a vent off the horizontal now.

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the vent fitting above the p-trap. Should be a medium 90 and not a vent 90.
Most codes require a wye or combo fitting if you pulling a vent off the horizontal now.

Thank you for the insight. I’ll steer clear of the vent 90 and do a combo.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on the location of the vent pipe you need to connect to, a wye and two smaller bends could work and would be less total bend than a combo and a medium 90. Up to 6" above the shower flood rim, the vent needs to be plumbed as a drain. And it's supposed to stay vertical (meaning up to 45 degrees off true vertical) if possible.

Cheers, Wayne

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
Depending on the location of the vent pipe you need to connect to, a wye and two smaller bends could work and would be less total bend than a combo and a medium 90. Up to 6" above the shower flood rim, the vent needs to be plumbed as a drain. And it's supposed to stay vertical (meaning up to 45 degrees off true vertical) if possible.

Cheers, Wayne

Thank you, Wayne. Could work well that way and the drain line consideration is appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks