valve for shower/tub...

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Roces79, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. Roces79

    Roces79 New Member

    Jun 8, 2006

    I am remodeling my bathroom to have a corner tub/shower area. We are looking to add a wallmounted tub spout, fixed overhead shower, and a hand shower unit. In addition we want to use a 2 handle control for the flow of water (NOT a single lever).

    I didn't think this setup would cause a problem, however I have my faucet store saying basically that I HAVE to use a single lever system with pressure balance to be up to US code. I don't understand this as there are plenty of 2 handle shower systems available everywhere.

    Can someone please shine some light on what kind of valves are possible for what I am trying to do or explain why it is not possible.

    Thank you!


    Ps: We only would need 1 of the 3 outputs available at one time.
  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    The plumbing codes today require that in new construction or remodel, an anti-scald type of valve be used. MOST but NOT ALL of these are single handle types. You can find from Delta and others a set up that has the two ( or 3) handle function. One handle is on/off/volume and the other handle is temp control, and this has pressure-balanced or thermostatic scald control.

    Your "faucet store" guy does not know his product lines very well. Ask him to get out the catalogs and have a look.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    When a shower is involved, you have to use pressure balance (and to that you can add thermostatic control). If it is only a tub filler, you do not. So, if it is designed to include a shower, to make it simpler, they ususally use a single handle, but as noted, not always.
  5. Roces79

    Roces79 New Member

    Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks for the info!!

    It just really confuses me when the plumbing code says you have to use a pressure valve, yet most major stores still sell valves without this feature. I would think that would not be allowed.
  6. Cass

    Cass Plumber

    Nov 12, 2005
    Plumbing codes affect only the plumber/permit holder. The codes do not affect or apply to stores.
Similar Threads: valve shower/tub
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Single handle shower/tub valve recommendations for good flow rate? Jan 30, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Need help with Price Pfister shower/Tub valve system (~2001 vintage) Series 02 Mar 2, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog No hot water from shower/tub - Moen standard valve with Moentrol adapter/trim Jan 30, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Need advice on fixing Delta 600 shower/tub valve - dripping water Oct 16, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Moen shower/tub valve leaking from stem when water is on Mar 16, 2013

Share This Page