Valve Box Too Low - Should I Stack Boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
The top of my valve box is flush with the ground. Please see photos below. After a few rains, it ends up with about an inch or more of dirt over the top. You can see the dirt I already dug out around it today just to get photos. Questions:
1 - Should I stack a second box on top? Are there any special techniques, tips or tricks for that? I Googled and researched, but didn't find a lot of info or pictures.
2 - About how far down around the first box should I dig? Do I need to dig down until the bottom rim of the top box meets and is flush with the lower box?
3 - Do they actually need to be attached together in any special way?
4 - And this may be a dumb question (heck, they may all be dumb questions) but just to confirm, I should remove the lid to the first (lower) box before stacking the second one on top, right? :)

IMG_7110 (Large).JPG

IMG_7113 (Large).JPG

IMG_7112 (Large).JPG

Thanks!
Carol

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never tried stacking control boxes, but since they are tapered, it might work OK. Might go to a supply store and try it with new boxes to see if and how they fit. If they don't fit, you might dig the old box out and lay some bricks to set the box on to raise it up. This is a time you need to think out side the box (pun intended)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks