Used wrong size trowel for wall tile

Users who are viewing this thread

ToneMalone66

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I installed 12x24 wall tile in my shower remodel. I realize now that I should have used a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel, but used a 1/4"x1/4" trowel. I back buttered and troweled each tile as well as the wall. I pullled up tiles every so often and always had good coverage of the back. The tiles were very hard to pry up and took a lot of force. Should I be worried that this mistake will cause issues down the line?

I understand why improper trowel size may cause issues on a floor where there is a lot of force and weight, but if the wall tiles hold strong will it really matter?

Appreciate any insight you may provide

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
1/2" trowels allow for a thicker layer of thin set and usually, as on floors only, one surface gets thin set. Doing both tile and wall with thin set you're good. For shower, 1/2 allows for wider gaps under the tile That can hold water. Grout is porous and water will seep below the tile. Use a good sealer after the thin set cures Such as 511 Impregnator or Aqua Mix Sealer's Choice Gold.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im no tile guy but for some odd reason facinated with the trade , and New ways vs old ways withen the industry , not a lot of action on here One guy Jadnashua really knows a lot . its goiod to share on here there are at least one really good Tile Forum not sure Im supposed to recomend another site though also a ton on you tube. My gut says with a good back butter and 1/4 notch you should be ok but thats coming from someone with no first hand knowledge . good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks