Shower plumbing not aligned - can I use shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

tljones

Reaction score
I let the contractor do his thing and didn't inspect - there are many things wrong and possibly the most problematic is what I noticed when cleaning up after him today - nothing is aligned. In the pic, the pen hanging down is from the shower head so you can see how it is centered also. I'm afraid to use the shower or tub for fear of it leaking behind the walls. He put up backer board and pretty sure there is no moisture barrier. The overflow drain cover is twisted so that the openings are higher on the left than the right.

The other issue is the gap between tub and tile. This is my original tub, we tore out the walls to the studs but left tub as is. In some places, the gap between the bottom tile edge and tub is almost 1/4" deep. Is filling that with caulk good enough to keep tub from leaking?

In case you are wondering, $3900 for plumbing and tile work. I bought the faucet set with valve and tile separately.

Help!

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 151
  • tub.jpg
    tub.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 156

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a stud running vertically right where the water should be? Sometimes with a remodel things are only going to fit as good as they can fit without a while lot of extra work. As for the gap on the tile maybe a tile quarter round trim would look nice.

lorizzo

Reaction score
I let the contractor do his thing and didn't inspect - there are many things wrong and possibly the most problematic is what I noticed when cleaning up after him today - nothing is aligned. In the pic, the pen hanging down is from the shower head so you can see how it is centered also. I'm afraid to use the shower or tub for fear of it leaking behind the walls. He put up backer board and pretty sure there is no moisture barrier. The overflow drain cover is twisted so that the openings are higher on the left than the right.

The other issue is the gap between tub and tile. This is my original tub, we tore out the walls to the studs but left tub as is. In some places, the gap between the bottom tile edge and tub is almost 1/4" deep. Is filling that with caulk good enough to keep tub from leaking?

In case you are wondering, $3900 for plumbing and tile work. I bought the faucet set with valve and tile separately.

Help!
I work in the tile industry in sales, and that tile job is terrible, sorry! All joints vertical and horizontal corners and planes need silicone caulking and that shouldn't be more than an 1/8th of an inch to 1/4", yours obviously vary. This allows for natural movement in those areas. Using sanded caulk is not recommended as it will crack out in due time and allow water to penetrate the area. Backerboard is a thing of the past for shower surrounds. Products like Schluter Kerdi shower systems, Laticrete Hydroban board which is already waterproofed and Go board are some top waterproof boards to work with in shower and wet areas. My apologies on the comment about the install. Good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks