Good option for bathtub walls and flooring

Users who are viewing this thread

Frog2000

Reaction score
I actually have 2 questions here, mostly asking for recommendations a type of product to look for.

I'm in the middle of remodeling my guest bathroom and have been looking at options for tile backing on the bathtub walls. There are so many options out there I've seen I'm not sure where to start. I'm trying to avoid cement board because it's a pain to handle but I'm also not sure I want to spend $120+ be board for Kerdi board. I'm thinking sheetrock and a roll of waterproofing membrane but maybe I'm overthinking it? Can anyone suggest a good setup that has worked for them? I will be tiling the walls around the tub and the 2x4s are within 1/8in across the walls if that makes any difference.

Another issue I have ran into with this remodel and fingering out how to level out the floor. I have about 1/2 of slop from one end to the other and some 1/4in craters. Can I just put some motor down on this? Any specific product I should use on this? Again I will tile the floor.

Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont do tile walls or flooring work , but studying a little I dont trust dry wall with water maybe hardie backer . I have watched a lot of tile videos on you tube from a channel called Tile Coach dont knowq why but Im facinated with tile and masonry but havent done much of it or have any projects coming up. a guy on here named jadnashua is a tile amature but seems to know a lot.
for the floor I might try putting some strips down like screeds on the lower end and use self leveling floor patch

Frog2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the relay. I've seen a lot of different tile videos but I think I might just go with the hardibacker board. I remember going with a different one that was difficult to cut but evidently hardibacker is a bit easier.
As for the flooring what if I just go with the slope of the floor and use thinset to fill in the holes. will this work?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im not sure if you should use thinset for that or some other type of mortar

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks