Use a T fitting or home run - 1/2 hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,
I need some advice on a hot water Pex-A run to a second bath. I've got a 3/4" copper to 3/4" PEX-A transition which then goes into a 3/4" flow through EP manifold. The 3/4" line continues on to an addition that is 3/4" copper.
Off the manifold I would have these hot water 1/2" runs:
- Washing machine - 10'
- Kitchen sink/dishwasher - 30'
- Hall shower/tub - 35'
- Hall sink - 37'
I'm considering combining the Hall bath hot water run to one home run line and then install a T for the sink.
This would save that second home run to the manifold of the sink. Is there any problem with this design?
While I could move the manifold closer to the bath/kitchen area, I wanted to minimize the amount of water that had to be run before hot water arrived at the fixture. Am I correct that having the 1/2" line will deliver the hot water quicker?

I don't see the sink being used while someone is in the shower hardly at all. The bath is a basic 1952 size and services the people in two bedrooms on that end. Think the kids bath.

Thanks for any advice!
RH

Reaction score
Here's a diagram to show what I was thinking.
Hot water -design.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Teeing as you propose is good.

If you wanted to get fancy and expensive, you could tee down to 3/8 for the lav near the manifold. Then the hot water arrives in about 60% as much time as with 1/2 inch pex to the lavatory.

Very few people do that. 3/8 pex A is expensive to buy a roll usually, you need another kind of rings, and your tool may not support 3/8 with what you have.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

If you wanted to get fancy and expensive, you could tee down to 3/8 for the lav near the manifold. Then the hot water arrives in about 60% as much time as with 1/2 inch pex to the lavatory.

Very few people do that. 3/8 pex A is expensive to buy a roll usually, you need another kind of rings, and your tool may not support 3/8 with what you have.

Reach 4 nice Idea Ive never run 3/8 inch for anything befor but noticed that bigger is not better when waiting for hot water, My brother has an old house with a detached guest house the hot line is 1/2 inch od copper (soft refridgeration?) it was there when he moved in. I noticed his wait for hotwater a lot better than one I plumbed in 3/4 copper. Im a big fan of a recirculating system but that is a bit pricey as well

Reaction score

Thanks Reach4. You are correct that my Milwaukee Uponor tool didn't come with the 3/8" head and I didn't want to invest in it just for that one line.

Thanks everyone I'll stick with the Tee plan!
RH

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks