Updating Delta bathtub spout but wrong nipple

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Danny, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Danny

Danny New Member

hi all,

First, thanks for the approval. This is my first post. I’m certainly a novice when it comes to most things plumbing.

I wanted to update my tub spout with a new trendy Delta but unfortunately the nipple pipe coming out of the wall isn’t right for the provider adapter.

What’s my move here? Do they make a one sided copper nipple that will thread into the faucet in the wall? I’m afraid I wouldn’t even be able to get that pipe unscrewed as it seems pretty corroded and the old spout took some serious torque to get off.

I hope I can still use the new spout.

Thanks for any help. I did try searching high and low but I kept finding the same diagram that doesn’t really show what to do.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Danny

Danny New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do they make a nipple with two different size male threads on each end though? The spout has female threads that are bigger than the current nipple. You can see the different in size with this picture.

Attached Files:

5. Danny

Danny New Member

I know that’s the adapter showing the comparison, but the female threads inside the spout are made for that size.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

No, really we can't.

The nipple should be a nominal "1/2 inch", which would be about 0.84 od where there is no thread. What OD do you have? One way to measure is to find the circumference and divide by pi.

If you get a new nipple, it should be brass. New galvanized will rust fast.

My notes say tot size the nipple so that it stick out between 5/8" to 1-5/8" from wall surface. I see that differs from Terry's drawing.

7. Danny

Danny New Member

Hopefully this picture shows an accurate measurement. If not, I will find some string and try the circumference measurement.

The spout looks like it accommodates a pipe that’s over an inch in diameter.

Do they make a reducing, brass nipple that is not threaded on the end?

Attached Files:

8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    The thread on the outside of the adapter goes into the spout. It has NOTHING to do with the size of the pipe in the wall. Your adapter WILL fit the pipe coming out of the wall once you get a shorter BRASS nipple, (in fact that is the ONLY metal pipe size that will fit it).

9. Danny

Danny New Member

I was concentrating on figure C-2 that Terry posted- that is why I was mentioning the thread size of the adapter. Apologies for the confusion.

I’m guessing I have the wrong adapter for a brass threaded nipple and the size pipe I have. Looks like I have one for a copper slip on? There are no threads and no way the adapter will thread into this nipple or a brass nipple, so no, it will not fit.

Attached Files:

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The RP33794 slides onto a copper pipe, and has a set screw. Does yours have a set screw?[​IMG]

The adapter that can be either screwed to a nipple or soldered to a copper pipe is Delta RP12307. To use that, you can use a piece of copper pipe soldered to a threaded adapter.
    [​IMG]

If your adapter is neither of these, what tub spout did you buy?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  11. Danny

Danny New Member

I have the first one. Looks like I need the second, a RP12307 and a specific length brass nipple! Thanks for clearing that up.

12. Danny

Danny New Member

I just want to confirm with you guys that this is indeed a half inch nipple that will allow the rp12307 adapter to thread on (once I get the appropriate brass length). The OD is clearly greater than 0.5 inches. See picture

Attached Files:

13. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    That is a 1/2" nipple. Remove it and measure the difference in length so that you can pick up the correct length. The new one will be shorter.
    1/2" is the inside diameter, not the outside.
    You can thread on your adapter and measure to see how much shorter it will need to be. That will also confirm to you that the thread from the wall is same thread as the adapter.